Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Checked rear break shoes for a friend, now flat washer on axel jammed

Ok, I took the break drum off to check the pads, put it back on, and tightened the axle nut. About 30 - 40 mins later my friend calls me up and says something is wrong, I come to look and some-how the flat washer that sits on top of the outer bearing has rotated so that the finger is out of the key-way about 90 DEG and stuck hard. First off, I am at a loss as to how this could have happened, I was sure that the drum was seated all the way before I tightened the nut, and now I wana know if anyone thinks the bearings have any possiblity of having survived. It got hot enough to liquify the grease, and was driven about 10 - 15 miles. I tried to see if I could tighten the nut enough to force that washer to spin and line-up, no dice, and it seems that it might have started to strip the axle/axle nut. How is the best way to go about getting this off?

It happens to my White Wagon, about six month ago... The rear axle did wear enough to make the ball bearin` too loose to try to continue using it, so I changed the Whole complete rear part... (My subie is only FWD) ...Maybe your`s didn`t get that wear, so try with a Penetrating oil and a high torque air impact gun, as DeMoss said.

Good Luck! :)