Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd like a slightly more sporty (but not too stiff) suspension in my '96 outback wagon. The front end is starting to clunk so I'm planning on rebuilding it myself - bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, & struts. What are some good options for aftermarket strut inserts that would give me tighter cornering without my wife complaining that it's too harsh?

And secondly, is the strut job pretty easy? Does the top nut or anything else require any special tools?

I'd like a slightly more sporty (but not too stiff) suspension in my '96 outback wagon. The front end is starting to clunk so I'm planning on rebuilding it myself - bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, & struts. What are some good options for aftermarket strut inserts that would give me tighter cornering without my wife complaining that it's too harsh?

And secondly, is the strut job pretty easy? Does the top nut or anything else require any special tools?

I think one very interesting, overlooked 'service' is at www.boxer4racing.com - Mr. teague will take your struts as a core and send you struts with adjustable Koni yellow inserts! Then, choose your spring s and reinstall. You may have to email him - the website is a little hard to navigate. there are online instructions for the process somewhere(subydude?) if you want to DIY.

just a thought

Carl

edit; OK, I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same service for an OBS, but it's listed on the WRX page here; http://64.71.53.59/suspensi.htm about 3/4 down.

No connection other than buying my exhaust from them.

Carl

The top piston rod locknut requires a 17mm offset wrench like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32042

I've seen them for sale at sears and at Lowe's as well.

If you buy KYB GR2s, they come with a new lock nut and are a larger 19mm. Hold the piston rod steady with a 6mm allen while you loosen/tighten the locknut with the offset wrench.

Also check out Andyjo's writeup:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50268

I just put Scorpion springs and KYB GR2's in my 97. For what you want to do, I'd highly recommend the GR2's. If you want to lift the car an inch or two, the Scorpions will do that well.

Here's my method of handling the top nut, as I lacked the "fancy" tools and have just very basic stuff. I took a piece of rubber from a mountain bike inner tube, wrapped it around the strut shaft and clamped onto it with a vise grip pliers. This holds the strut shaft from turning while you tighten or loosen the top nut. Worked great, kinda like a strap wrench (which probably would also work). One could also use a socket (wrapped in rubber) held by the vise grip pliers and the allen tool goes through the hole in the socket.

Be sure to put some penetrating oil on the nuts that are now ten years old and probably rusty. The job is quite easy now that I've done it once, compressing the springs remains the biggest pain but with air tools and a spring compressor (free rental) it's not too bad. I found a local guy via nasioc that helped me do mine, he showed me the ropes and now I can do each corner in under an hour. Previously I had only done simple things like fluid changes and some interior electrical work, so I'm no skilled mechanic.

Steve

no polyurethane bushings then. they give a really harsh ride

Nonsense! While I am not familiar with what is available for Subies, Poly bushings typically come in a variety of durometers, ranging from harder to softer. The good aspect of poly is that it stays the same over time, without degrading like rubber does.

Using a softer bushing where a suspension component is anchored to the body and harder ones at the wheel side of the suspension component, allows for a tighter suspension, but maintains a more supple ride.

Make some calls to the typical high performance subie after market guys and see what is really available.

Struts are not difficult, but can be dangerous, as you will be working with compressed springs. There are a lot of write ups on front end rebuilding all over the web. Read up on it and verify it's something you want to do. None of it is difficult, but you need to know what you are doing.

Jack

I was advised here to try the KYB Gr2s on my Forester. With those and an Ebay WRX rear swaybar I ended up with a pleasant handling car that is neutral front and rear.

And I also use an air wrench on struts, it beats heck out of any other method I've seen.

a new car for the wife would get her to not comlplain about your car :banana: