Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Springs Rockers Lobes OH MY! HELP!!!

Sorry to start a new thread about this.. but I need help, like now, before I set the RX on fire... :mad:

ea82 Turbo MPFI 5spd etc etc

So I managed to get my cam towers back on and stuff.. well the spring (on both sides) CLOSEST to the FRONT of the car are staying compressed and allowing the rockers to just fall out.. Why would it do this? How do I fix it? I had the motor running for about 3 seconds (mmm oil sprays EVERYWHERE when you start it with the cam cover removed.) Anyway.. not even having it running uncompressed those two springs.. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to leave those two rockers out and drive it til blows up. a big WTF? on this one.

Sorry to start a new thread about this.. but I need help, like now, before I set the RX on fire... :mad:

ea82 Turbo MPFI 5spd etc etc

So I managed to get my cam towers back on and stuff.. well the spring (on both sides) CLOSEST to the FRONT of the car are staying compressed and allowing the rockers to just fall out.. Why would it do this? How do I fix it? I had the motor running for about 3 seconds (mmm oil sprays EVERYWHERE when you start it with the cam cover removed.) Anyway.. not even having it running uncompressed those two springs.. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to leave those two rockers out and drive it til blows up. a big WTF? on this one.

Dude, is this spring on each side you taking about the valve spring???

or is it maybe the lifter spring loaded tip you are haveing trouble with..anyways the valve spring should be 42mm high from the seat..or 40mm from the head casting..check the height to see if this is the case..it should be the same height as all the rest of the valve springs....

if it is compressed eather the valve is sticking on both sides..which is strange....as you say it is on both sides...or there is something holding it open(the valve that is)

check the height as i said and if this is ok..then maybe it is a colappsed lifter and not a spring....was the engine running correctly before all this..and did you see it running right?

if not maybe someone else has bent the valves..or dunked it in the river and the front pots have copped some water...if this is not the case..you should look closely and see if you can spot the problem.....

put some nylon rope down the plug hole of the offending cylinder and see if you can close the valve using the piston to push against the rope and thus close the valve..youll have to feed 1-2 foot of 5mm nylon rope in or so..cheers

Yeah I caught this motor on fire. It seized the cam on the 1-3 side. That spring I believe is the valve spring.. the one the rocker pushes "Compressed" when the cam lobe pushes the rocker. The front one on both sides is "Compressed" so when the lobe is not pushing it the rocker just falls out. Also.. on the 1-3 side.. the next one in from the front makes a very loud clack when the spring gets compressed. Im doomed..

the more I think about it... GD is probably right...

However, can/did you check to see if those lifters 'stuck out' as much as the other three on each side? I suppose they could each be collapsed, preventing the cam from holding the rocker in place... long shot.. but worth checking I guess...

the more I think about it... GD is probably right...

However, can/did you check to see if those lifters 'stuck out' as much as the other three on each side? I suppose they could each be collapsed, preventing the cam from holding the rocker in place... long shot.. but worth checking I guess...

By lifters you mean.. the thingies that the top part of the rocker set on? They are all sticking out the same.. it is definately the springs that is the problem. I think I'm just going to have to wait until I can afford to tear it down and rebuild it good. It is still rebuildable, right?

By lifters you mean.. the thingies that the top part of the rocker set on? They are all sticking out the same.. it is definately the springs that is the problem. I think I'm just going to have to wait until I can afford to tear it down and rebuild it good. It is still rebuildable, right?

Probably - but I would just find another set of heads. Otherwise you'll definately need a complete valve job - new guides and all. And if it got that hot, they are probably cracked and warped too.

GD

OOOHH!! I SEE, if the valve,s are not stuck as GD says,i think the springs may have lost there temper and copped a lot of heat..how hot did it get?

Wow, you dont hold back when you cook a motor:grin: :grin: how are you with bacon and eggs?:lol:

i hope you have a set of springs ,but do youself a favour and rebuild the heads..cheers

I had a valve stick on my rx after a rebuild. If I tapped on the spring it popped it popped back out. Smacked it with a hammer until it stopped sticking. I put 35k miles on it. Was still working when i tore it down. It was slightly bent. Try bouncing a hammer off the stuck springs. They might free up and work.

I had a valve stick on my rx after a rebuild. If I tapped on the spring it popped it popped back out. Smacked it with a hammer until it stopped sticking. I put 35k miles on it. Was still working when i tore it down. It was slightly bent. Try bouncing a hammer off the stuck springs. They might free up and work.

+1. Can't hurt it much at this point.

GD

Wow, you dont hold back when you cook a motor:grin: :grin: how are you with bacon and eggs?:lol:

Hey, this has nothing to do with my skills as a cook! Actually, I cook bacon and eggs quite well. What happened was.. I was doing a clutch job.. and one of the turbo-downpipe bolts snapped when I was trying to loosen it.. So, I had a small turbo exhaust leak there.. We were visiting in Phoenix for the weekend of Jessica's Great-Grandmothers birthday. I got a call from a friend who was stuck out in the desert and injured.. We were going to fix the exhaust that morning.. but instead I took off to go "save" my friend.. well the 100+ degree weather and me doing about 115 down the freeway just couldn't take it. It never seemed to over heat.. the gauge got a little hot.. a little above half way.. then went back down.. maybe a sensor busted or something. Anyway.. it got hot enough that a few hoses and the timing covers literally caught on fire. Lucky I had a 5 gallon water jug full of ice water to throw on there :eek: So I saved it from burning.. I'll try whackin those springs and whatnot to see If I can get them moving.. but if I can't.. I'm just probably going to wait until I can afford a rebuild and put on my td04 and intercooler etc...