Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my turbo toast?

Oilpump died, causing the shortblock to have a hissy fit, thus creating metal shavings. If some did manage to get into my TD04, how long would the car have to run before it scores the bearings in the turbo to the point of no return? I didn't run it very long after it started making noise fortunatly, maybe a minute at most, roughly 30 seconds. I have another engine but turbo is a spendy part for me and my car is already modded to adapt to the TD04. *sigh* I just wanna cry...

or do an EJ swap.....:rolleyes:

If you can make a static test stand and see what you can get out of the turbo.Like set something up where you have an oil can above the oil inlet and let it run down into the turbo and have something be able to make the turbo spin ie; compressed air ect.I would run it for a while and see if you can coax out any little particles.Turbos are pretty strong so I don't think you killed it.Also the rebuild kits for those are pretty easy to come by.Turbo engineering in golden,co has all of that stuff.

http://www.turboengineering.com

Thanks Jerry! Hopefully tomorrow I ca do that and see what all I can get out of it. Maybe I can tear it apart but that would scare me.....

Just make a mark on the compressor wheel where it meets the shaft/nut.So that way you can take it apart and put it back together so it is still balanced.I learned that one the hard way!:-\

if there are metal shavings anywhere..they are probably alloy first...i dont think you would have any in the turbo as the oil goes through the filter before the engine...i think,anyway false hope will make you feel a little better..:grin: ide say your turbo would be fine...cheers

It's probly OK. On my way back from a surf trip I started to hear a knock. It got worse, much worse. With all my gear in the car there was no way I was leaving it on the side of the road. The last 20 km to my house I was on 3 cylinders with a horrible racket. A piston and connecting rod had been at each other for over a 150 km's! that's about a 100 miles. After swapping the motor out I took the oil pan off and what a mess. LARGE junks of Al. everywhere, pickup strainer was mostly clogged but the oil filter wasn't too bad. The turbo was/is fine, and I know this motor was chewing metal alot longer than 100 miles or so.

Long story I know but a happy ending for the turbo. Probly for yours too.

It's probly OK. On my way back from a surf trip I started to hear a knock. It got worse, much worse. With all my gear in the car there was no way I was leaving it on the side of the road. The last 20 km to my house I was on 3 cylinders with a horrible racket. A piston and connecting rod had been at each other for over a 150 km's! that's about a 100 miles. After swapping the motor out I took the oil pan off and what a mess. LARGE junks of Al. everywhere, pickup strainer was mostly clogged but the oil filter wasn't too bad. The turbo was/is fine, and I know this motor was chewing metal alot longer than 100 miles or so.

Long story I know but a happy ending for the turbo. Probly for yours too.

this makes me feel much better. If anything, I did source another TD04 in Colorado for $120 with only 1,000 miles on it.....