Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A new Wedge...

Out with the frustrating, in with the running.

I went to go look at my new "potential project" this evening, and was very impressed, so it's official.

On Saturday, I pick up an '88 XT6 AWD 5-speed with 115k miles and a strong-running drivetrain. Downsides... completely shot suspension, and the cybrid steering is out. The latter of the two doesn't bother me, I can always drive it like it has manual steering.

It's a very pretty gray color... but I'd swear it's a couple shades lighter than the normal XT's "Lucent Gray"... does anyone know what this is? or is this just a faded Lucent that needs to be buffed?

In other news, I may have a line on a free (destroyed) Legacy in the northend. It was sitting next to a barn that burned down, and the back end of the car is burned out... but it looks like forward of the firewall is OK... maybe even some stuff under the car, too. I'm awaiting pictures and details. Anyway, if it turns out that there are usable parts, I'll refer this to anyone looking for an EJ22 that can haul it away.

(Please do not reply about the Legacy in this thread... it does not belong to me, and it will not be parted out by the owner. If you must, PM me)

Yup, welcome to the club:clap:

The shocks can be replaced with EA82 in the rear (or XT/XT6), the fronts will take Legacy struts. The bottom mounts need to be spread out a little to fit on the hub.

I have a question for the XT6 guys, did any of them have ABS?

some JDM xt's had ABS, I've read about it in a article a while ago.

but USDM and EDM never had ABS.

ok that makes sense. the XT6 hubs I bought from the US had the holes for it but no rings. trying to retrofit ABS on my loyale wagon (front is BG5 legacy.)

looks like I'm off to NZ for a look now.

Sorry to hammer on this point, but I'd like to hit PaP on Saturday if I can...

Front = Gen1 Legacy struts + which springs?

Rear = EA82 (2WD?) struts + which springs?

It's ok if the car rides lower than normal, as long as it's consistent across the board. (Actually, as I'd like to autocross it, lower would be better)

I know the writeup on XT6.net says that adjustable Impreza springs can be used if something gets ground down, but I don't have that sort of equipment. I need a setup that will literally bolt in once I have the strut/spring assembly together.

Alrighty, it's finally sitting in my garage. :) It was nice having a car that moved under its own power, and being able to drive it home... even if I had to wear my helmet to protect my head from the roof.

The car is leaking cybrid fluid at the reservoir, dropping it down onto the cat and burning it (so it smokes and stinks). Quick check indicates fluid level is below the bottom of the stick (can't see into the reservoir, neck does't turn that way).

Other than that and the air suspension, there's just some miscellaneous knick-nacky things in the cabin that need to be replaced.

I like ER27's already. :)

if you use the Legacy struts in the front and the EA82 shocks in the rear, which are the same as XT6 I believe, use some 2wd springs for both and it'll sit low with suspension.

Oh sure, NOW someone tells me... :lol:

Though with the selection available today, that wasn't a possibility... there were no 2WD Legs to grab parts from.