Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed d/r rebuilds?

What options are out there for rebuilding a 5 speed d/r? Do I just have to rip into it and then get part by part from a dealer? I have contacted my local transmission shops and they all say the same thing, "we don't have a supplier for a kit so no, we can't" Anybody have any suggestions?

I am assuming that Mudrat79 was just going through the dealers to get the needed parts. A1 here in Bellingham told me that that is what they have done in the past, but to do the whole thing will cost twice what the car is worth. I have looked into the junkyard trannys but I must have the worst luck becuase it seem like the two i have tried have the same third gear griding when shifting into problem

I am assuming that Mudrat79 was just going through the dealers to get the needed parts. A1 here in Bellingham told me that that is what they have done in the past, but to do the whole thing will cost twice what the car is worth. I have looked into the junkyard trannys but I must have the worst luck becuase it seem like the two i have tried have the same third gear griding when shifting into problem

Run some ATF through the tranny, and refill with redline after a few hundred miles. The problem is not the syncro's wearing out, but a layer of varnish on them. I've heard that when torn down, they often just need to be deglazed - no replacement is needed.

GD

Run some ATF through the tranny, and refill with redline after a few hundred miles. The problem is not the syncro's wearing out, but a layer of varnish on them. I've heard that when torn down, they often just need to be deglazed - no replacement is needed.

GD

Really..... hmmm I will try that, the trans I am currently running I seemed to solve the problem by putting the same gear oil that i use in the rear end of my old jeep (90 - 140 or something like that) Its really thick and doesn't like to shift cold. It made the grinding go away and I haven't seen any adverse effects yet (32,000 miles and counting) but like i said, it doesn't want to shift when its cold, and will not shift fast no matter how hard you pull.

I will try your solution out this weekend and see what happens.

whats up kenny?you any farther on this?

What "this" are you talking about? :D If its a 4.11 or 4.44 gear swap I am just waiting for some free time to break into it. (my new job has got me tied up more than i thought) I have free roam to a great machine shop, so once i get the 3.9 pinion shaft out and can compare it to the 4.11 to know what needs to be milled/grafted ( I honestly haven't seen the two side by side or even a 4.44 so i don't what the differences are)but once i do, I should be rocking and rolling. As far as a d/r rebuild I might as well rebuild everything while the d/r is apart. I haven't called CCR but I will do so tomorrow and see if they have a package they can sell me. If you have any info on where to rebuild these old things that info would be wonderful! The d/r ej "this" is dead, unless a something wonderfull happens and i find a used one with free shipping.

Off topic, I will be in spokane the weekend of the 24th, and Barracuda (*sp) be up from something?