Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lowering springs for 87 standard

Sorry, can't answer your question.

But here's another one :rolleyes: Can you get new torsion bars for a hatch that are lowered?, just a thought, maybe you could pull the bar(s?) out and move them around a notch on the splines?

You could try cutting some old springs, just take off a loop and see what happens...

i got some custom king springs for the MY wagon in the front and moved the torsion bar in the rear down a notch.

looked the part

ended up too soft for my liking and kept riding on the bump stops too much

still have the front springs if anyone wants them (in aus tho)

You could try cutting some old springs, just take off a loop and see what happens...

Hmm... I'd never reccommend that. That's very dangerous, you're not only weakening the spring by cutting it, you're also changing the design rather unpredictably.

One of my former neighbors did that to his Jetta and ended up jamming one of his front struts up through its mounting point when he hit a road hazard too hard...

psh, suspension is for wussies! I pulled the springs out of the front and cranked the torsion bars all the way down in the rear on my '78 Brat. I'm surprised I still have kidneys but it was awesome when the slammed Hondas drove by and stared....

psh, suspension is for wussies! I pulled the springs out of the front and cranked the torsion bars all the way down in the rear on my '78 Brat. I'm surprised I still have kidneys but it was awesome when the slammed Hondas drove by and stared....

If you love that, go find an XT6 with a hosed suspension. :)

Hmm... I'd never reccommend that. That's very dangerous, you're not only weakening the spring by cutting it, you're also changing the design rather unpredictably.

One of my former neighbors did that to his Jetta and ended up jamming one of his front struts up through its mounting point when he hit a road hazard too hard...

cutting springs dangerous? no. depends on a lot of factors. cutting with a saw will not weaken the spring, cutting with a torch will if you dont have the rest of the spring in some water.

and if you cut the same amounts, you are changing the design predictably.

i got some custom king springs for the MY wagon in the front and moved the torsion bar in the rear down a notch.

looked the part

ended up too soft for my liking and kept riding on the bump stops too much

still have the front springs if anyone wants them (in aus tho)

you still got the springs.... could you check shipping to 98198 Washington state

Rather get progressive springs in the front instead of cutting the stockies. Drop the torsion bars a notch and get adjustable coilovers for fine tuning.

4WD torsion bar is already adjustable.

Cutting the springs is just fine - low-rider community has been doing it for years. Bandsaw with water jet is the prefered method, but a blue wrench will do it too. As mentioned - lots of water.

Still.... I think it will look stupid, but whatever.

GD

It's a 4WD hatch with 74 HP..... not to mention it's a $600, 80's car... AND the bottom of the line model.

Step back for a moment and think this through - you're polishing a turd. :rolleyes:

I applaud you for wanting to be like Chip Foose, but that aint the ride to start with. Find something that will actually be worth your effort in the end.

If you really want to do stuff like this, take some community college classes or something. Do some "book learnin" and some research..... and think things through. For example - you are totally hot to lower this car RIGHT NOW. Have you even thought that you will probably want some decent looking "riced" rims for that turd? And where are you going to get them? Converting to a different bolt pattern is probably the best bet, and probably you'll have to change the struts/springs as well. So..... it would be wise to work from the bottom up - the wheels are the last link in the chain, and they will dictate everything else that has to be done. Get your rims/tires and work from their size and bolt pattern to get the car to the height your need. Otherwise your just kicking yourself in the a_ss.

GD

*edit* I said :lol:"TURD":lol:

i dont care about the speed it handles alot better when its low to the ground and have good tires on it.. and it would be the only 80s hatch around lowered.. thats why. I dont care about speed that much. i think it would look good

this height looks sweet:

1983-srx.jpg

but i do agree, it would corner better if it was lower to the ground, alot less body roll. i learned this after driving my dad's vett, that thing rides like a board, but it handles like a dream...its your car, do what you want with it!! don`t let the party poopers get you down!:headbang:

Your corning is of course somewhat dependant on the height, but it will corner like the turd it is unless you:

1. Add a rear sway bar from a Turbo EA82

2. Convert to front EA82/XT6 hybrid 5 lug suspension so you can make the front sway BIG.

3. Lower profile, wider tires - less sidewall flex. Add some more offset to your rim choice to widen the track too.

4. And the LAST thing you do is lower it (this is mostly for less drag really), and stiffen the springs.

If you just cut the springs it has, you'll still get nearly the same amount of body roll as there is NO rear sway bar, a teensy tiny front sway bar, a suspension made of chewing gum bushings, and springs made like a slinky.

The hatch is so increddibly light anyway, that lowering it's already low center of gravity (remember this is a boxer engine with a transaxle) probably won't be noticeable. But just adding a rear sway bar will make it corner like a slot car.

GD

there are just as many 5x100 mm bolt pattern rim/tire choices out there as the 6x140mm. the only difference is better handling through a better suspension design, and the cost associated with the 5-lug conversion. beyond that, it can be dangerous if you dont have your 6 lug rims properly spaced/balanced.

~Josh~

Plenty of people do it to their riced up cars... And seems it's a cheap old roo, why not do it cheap! lol... I would never do this my self, but I have never heard of someone getting into lots of trouble doing it. It's just a cheap fix.. Also, not droping the torsion bar, but only backing it off a notch on the spline is what Blue Steel said.

You can always get springs made with what ever height + spring rate at a good suspension shop.. Well you can here is Aus anyhow

One other thing... What do people think is more "ricer" Lowering your car so you like it more, or keeping it as it is so everyone else likes it more. I see "ricer" as another version of "show pony" or "show off"

I would convert to 6 lug. More rim options.
If you want to do this, heres a link to what I done www.OffroadingSubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html

i dont care about the speed it handles alot better when its low to the ground and have good tires on it.. and it would be the only 80s hatch around lowered.. thats why. I dont care about speed that much. i think it would look good

No need for speed? Can I have the Weber then?