Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Excessive shifter movement... 90 Leg 5MT

FINALLY got one of my new-gens running... a 90 Legacy with a 5MT that I picked up for $125 due to a "bad transmission". Pretty sure it was the clutch, and it turned out to be the case: Clutch disk hub sheared away from the friction ring.

Anyways, got it all put back together, took it for a test drive, and the shifter is rocking fore and aft 15-20degrees in response to power. Engine mounts look good, dogbone looks ok, and am unsure about tranny mount. I have not crawled under to check out shifter linkage yet. (Orders to get my wife's 90 Leg Auto running... :rolleyes: )

So, what is most likely to cause this much shifter movement? I can't use 4th under power, as I can't keep it engaged, but can use 4th on overrrun; 5th works fine under power but pops out under overrun.

Thanks all!

in my impreza i too suffer from the shifter rocking back and forth when i let off gas or give it gas....i kinda thought twice about it...but didnt know where to start the diagnosis

for me its the worst in 3rd gear...should i check things like engine mounts like u said? im sure with high miles they arent good anymore...srry for the minor hyjack but its on the topic

do you have the shift support rod seated in teh body mount correctly?

do you have the pitch stopper attached?

everything is bolted up kosher?

these cars really have horrible shift bushings. and the liquid filled engine mounts are probably busted, get some impreza or WRX engine mounts, or group N's.

there are several poly shift bushings you can get for the WRX that will work on the legacy.

just for the record the shifter moving back and forth doesnt really harm anything does it?

As long as you don't want to use several gears, it is just fine! :rolleyes:

Depends on the reason it is rocking. I suspect mine is linkage related, but as I have written, I haven't crawled under it yet. (Only 3 jack-friendly slots at my house, and all 3 are spoken for at the moment.)

For what it is worth, the shift lever has no noticeable slop, and it does not shake. It just rocks fore and aft in response to power. PO had started to remove the tranny before I bought it, so who knows what got disconnected...