Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WCSS8 trailrun teaser "Surveyors ridge"

scoobyclimbs

Since I've been charged with the task to lead a trail run for WCSS8 ....Here's a sneak peak...From Surveyors ridge and more of the area. I was havin such a good time on this trip to the foothills of Parkdale, Odell. My 2 1/2 year old son was my co-driver.....he loves wheelin......

I met a few locals and this is the place to go ! I could not believe all the spurs/hillclimbs/mudholes /tight tracks...I think I stumbled on "wheelerdise"!!! There was awesome views of the valley below and Mt.Hood/Adams as well even though they were shrouded in clouds...!

Note: no one has been this trail in a long time ...I had first tracks!!!

Enough talk ...pictures are where it's at...just a tease for now....:burnout:

surveyors.jpg

surveyorsclimb2.jpg

topclimb.jpg

ridge.jpg

ridge1.jpg

trail1.jpg

steeptrail.jpg

trail2.jpg

down.jpg

valleyout1.jpg

mtnvalley.jpg

• Like 1

awesome! Surveyor's Ridge, eh? doesn't sound familiar, but it looks like a place I was out at on the WA side of the river around Hood River...

how do you get there? I may not be able to wait until august... (:

--Spiffy

How long does it take to get to the top? Will this be a full day of wheeling? Not sure how you have it planned out with the show and all... maybe we need to get up bright and early and head out at like 7ish. I remember last year me and Jibs were out having fun, and we had to put the peddle to the metal to get back in time for the award ceremony.

I trust Eric will have everything straightened out. Those trails look prime! Definatly stock-subaru friendly. This is going to be one hell of a trip.

-Brian

How long does it take to get to the top? Will this be a full day of wheeling? Not sure how you have it planned out with the show and all... maybe we need to get up bright and early and head out at like 7ish. I remember last year me and Jibs were out having fun, and we had to put the peddle to the metal to get back in time for the award ceremony.

I trust Eric will have everything straightened out. Those trails look prime! Definatly stock-subaru friendly. This is going to be one hell of a trip.

-Brian

Actually that particular trail should only take about 2hours tops, but then theres so much to do on the other side.....Yeppers! even the hardcore rigs will have challenges!!! The stock rigs should have at least snow or AT tires as the terrain is pretty rocky...I found mudholes over a foot deep! I was gonna go for it but then turned around since I was alone and with my 2 1/2year old son.... getting stuck would be bad! He knows that word real well!LOL!

I'm thinkin of doing trail runs Friday/Sat/ Sun. Perhaps a night run too!:eek::banana:

awesome! Surveyor's Ridge, eh? doesn't sound familiar, but it looks like a place I was out at on the WA side of the river around Hood River...

how do you get there? I may not be able to wait until august... (:

--Spiffy

I used to mtn bike this place about 16years ago!

Take hwy 35 South from Hoodriver and turn left on FS rd 17(aka Pinemount dr) East or (Take hwy 35 North and go East on FS rd 17) to road fs rd 640 and climb the powerline rd to your right(North) Get a green trails map or Mt.Hood FS map. I will provide maps to those attending.

• 3 weeks later...
Do i NEED special tires? My rx is completely stock and i just got it. Would love to take it out!

Even with a low range some of the rocks are just huge so sidewall protection is a factor. Note the pics ...fist size or better rocks ! Better have a fullsize spare....I suppose you could run stock tires at your own risk...I'm being honest about the conditions and would'nt want anyone stranded out there....I'm headin out there Sun. June 25

• 4 weeks later...

I plan on going up Friday perhaps that night for some lighted excursions !

I might take the day off...I just bought a house so I'm moving..ack!

Call me when ya roll in my cell is 503-314-7535 Gregg

It will be hot, dry, dusty ...However , Green point resivour is close by if ya wanna cool off...plus theres some kewl wheelin' up there....!

If ya get a chance (from Parkdale) get on hwy 35 and head North towards Odell head up the hill and turn left (West) on Gilhouley rd takes you over Middle mtn tons of wheelin there.

Get a Hoodriver county map from the store in Mt.Hood( small town) just head North on hwy 35. You might check to see if one of the small stores in Parkdale has them ....they are free! and very detailed(street names/fs rds/landmarks) but no topo..

Since your coming from hwy 97/26/35 A must is to check out Gunsight ridge! take the Bennet pass exit and enter the parking lot and stay left on the Primitive rd. the views will are well worth it and abit of rocky sections.

I suggest you get a Mt.Hood nat. Forest service map!

Badger lake is another spot to check out. ( you need a NW forest pass day pass $5 most stores or gas stations have them)

here's a sneak peak I was just there last weekend...the last two shots are from last year...

Jeffersongunsight.jpg

gunsight2.jpg

RainierAdams.jpg

valleyview.jpg

badgerlake.jpg