Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a pic and i have no idea how to post it. Can i email it to somone and have them post it (yes im a clutz at this stuff). I have not seen this car in person but the pic looks like a block of some kind with the hyd clutch lines passing through it. It is mounted on the side of the tranny. It has a bleed valve. I want to say hill holder but i dont see any brake lines in the pic. Also i dont know what a hyd clutch hillholder looks like.

nipper

That part is a clutch damper. There should be a line running from the clutch master cylinder to the damper, and then to the clutch slave cylinder.

As to what exactly it does..other then "damp" something....I'm really not sure. I did not install the damper when I did my AWD & 5MT swap, and I don't really see an issue to not having it on there.

So what model and year is this part on. I have a complete hydrualic clutch setup from a 92 Turbo Legacy and there isn't anything that that there. I have a hydrualic clutch on the 96 WRX and there is nothing that that there either.

That part is a clutch damper.[...]

As to what exactly it does..other then "damp" something....I'm really not sure. [...]

As far as I know, clutch dampers are typically used for two possible reasons:

1) To minimize potential damage to the trans should the driver rev the hell out of the engine and pop the clutch; damping would tend to smoke the clutch a bit more, but that's probably better than stripped gear teeth or broken shafts.

2) To help minimize clutch shudder if there's a tendency towards that happening.

So what model and year is this part on. I have a complete hydrualic clutch setup from a 92 Turbo Legacy and there isn't anything that that there. I have a hydrualic clutch on the 96 WRX and there is nothing that that there either.

sorry thought i posted that, its a 98 Legacy wagon. Haynes makes no mention of the silly thing.

nipper

I believe they were only on the 91 turbos, if my memory serves me correct.

Can anyone with a 1998 leagcay or ouback with a manual pup thier hood and see if they have this part too? The haynes book says nothing about it. i go to subaruparts.com and its listed on the 1998 clutch system. i have never seen it come up here.

nipper

Can anyone with a 1998 leagcay or ouback with a manual pup thier hood and see if they have this part too? The haynes book says nothing about it. i go to subaruparts.com and its listed on the 1998 clutch system. i have never seen it come up here.

nipper

I have a '98 Legacy Outback 5mt...the master cylinder is connected directly through a hose to the slave cylinder- no delay valve. Production date on the car is 6/97. I know there were clutch changes made between '97 and '98; the '98 master cylinder costs about half as much as the '97.

cheers,

Nathan