Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is there a screen before the float valve

I have a 83 SW 1800, it stalls due to lack of gas. Im a thinking that there is restriciton before the float valve. Previous posts on the subject seem to confirm this . is there a mesh screen in there? . when I took the carb apart , i did replace the needle valve but could not get the brass screw it fit in out and pretty much broke off the top of it with large screwdriver. Im not too excited about tearing it apart again and drilling the float valve out with a press. I'm planning to spray carb cleaner into the carb intake gas pipe and poke around with a ten speed braided cable to break up things in there. I this a good idea? SC

Don't poke around with anything other than small copper wire, you will scratch the jets and stuff up and potentially cause other problems.

Another thing that may help, have a friend or someone rev the engine to 4k or 5k and hold it there while you stuff a rag over the top of the carb completely blocking it off untill it almost dies(dont kill it completely) and then repeat. What this does is create an incredible vacuum inside the carburetor and will suck a LOT crap out of it, it helps especially with older cars that have been sitting for a while. AKA redneck carb cleaning

I would also seriously consider finding a rebuildable weber carburetor and adaptor if I were you. Hitachis are difficult carburetors to work with and are very "finicky," there is a good chance you will find yourself tearing it down and rebuilding it numerous times before you can get it to run right.

Smelly,

After you get this fixed, you might consider installing a fuel filter right before the carb. I had to do this on my sons hatch due to the crap in the hard lines between the filter at the back of the car and the carb. Since then I haven't had to touch the carb.:)

Good luck,

NV

Smelly,

After you get this fixed, you might consider installing a fuel filter right before the carb. I had to do this on my sons hatch due to the crap in the hard lines between the filter at the back of the car and the carb. Since then I haven't had to touch the carb.:)

Good luck,

NV

83 already has a filter/vapor seperator right before the carb.

The Hitachi is just a crappy design - the jets are sunk into the bottom of the float bowl. On the Weber they are lifted up about 1/4" so crap in the fuel or particulates that make it through the air filter cannot clog the jets.

Make sure the float needle and seat aren't sticking - I've found this before on Hitachi's.

GD

Hey you aint kidding about this Carb being finicky. Since i rebuilt this thing. When I start it , I mash the pedal to the floor to activate the choke. for the first 10 minutes of driving, it dies when I push in the clutch at red lights , I have to use the emergency brake while I rev it to keep it going with the clutch in. Then it gets hot and start reving to 3000. like cruise control . I roll all the way to work with my foot off the pedal going 45 in 4th gear. NoW the engine is hot and ends up idling about 1300rpm which is manageble. I want to teach my 16 year old to drive it but I think I need to get this idling and stalling problem fixed. With all the above happening, I will get the intermittant complete No gas stalls and have to crank the engine on the side of the road to fill the bowl up. But when it is running its smooth as silk. Lucky me, I only got to drive 9 miles to work. SC

Some time in 98 i was driving 70 miles to work one way every day and the Soob started stalling on hills . So i started doing things . I even removed the gas tank and blew out every line with water and air. it did not do a thing.

When I finally moved closer a few months later, we bought a newer car and I got the wifes toyota van. Married man in Mini van. So the GL has been pretty much on dry dock for 7 years. I start it every few months and run around the block. Now the 85 Toyvan has blown its head gasket and I'm trying to figure out this SOob GL.

For the record New filters front /rear/new pump/ rebuilt carb but could not get float valve out. So I'm thinking that screen in front of the carb. maybe.

It will get me to work but if i run it hard I run out of gas and stall

84 GL 1800 5speed 148,000miles. Thanks for your thoughts SC

I can replace the filters again and prove you right.

I pulled the air filter off and brushed around in the gas /float intake hole this weekend. used a can of Carb cleaner and put it back together . Drove OK, but a few times I sputtered when I goosed the pedal. still not getting enough gas.

I also get the ECR light when the car gets hot and now my temp gauge is in the red. Maybe this is a CLUE? I changed the thermostat today and it still overheats. at least the gauge says its hot. I'm not sure the engine is hot.

The good news is this. It runs and gets me to work but as a car for my kida, its too darn finicky. sc