Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ever since i had my 98 obw in 100 miles my gas gauge would be on empty. I tried all the tricks to clean it nothing worked. I also had this odd hiccup while stopped at a traffic light (automatic).

Well i dumped in a bottle of Techron Concetrate plus. Filled up the car and it sat with a full tank over night. 38 miles later the gauge is a hair below full. The hiccup is gone. The idle (which was smooth) got even smoother.

Now this may not work with everyone, but its the best 8.00 i ever spent.:banana:

nipper

It specifically said it cleaned and protects fuel gauge sendors. My next step was to buy new senders. Driving around town i dont mind not knowing whats in the tank, as the light works. On the highway i want to know :)

nipper

OK so after the first tank of gas, fuel gauge took 250 miles to get to E. before treatment it was 100 miles (usually 280 for the light to come on).

It seems ive picked up 2mpg (keeping in mind my car had 184K on it and probably never got an injector cleaning) and the idle has smothed out.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

nipper

After seeing this thread, I decided to try a bottle of techron this weekend. My 95 Legacy was always at the 1/2 between full and 3/4 when I filled up and would be at E at 180 miles. I tossed in a the 20 ounce bottle at fillup and had the car sit. On my way to work, I am at a little over 1/2 between full and 3/4 at 50 miles. This may be what my car needed.

Fingers crossed for a bit better gas mileage also!!!

After seeing this thread, I decided to try a bottle of techron this weekend. My 95 Legacy was always at the 1/2 between full and 3/4 when I filled up and would be at E at 180 miles. I tossed in a the 20 ounce bottle at fillup and had the car sit. On my way to work, I am at a little over 1/2 between full and 3/4 at 50 miles. This may be what my car needed.

Fingers crossed for a bit better gas mileage also!!!

im going to try one more and see what happens, see if i can get the last 50 miles back

nipper

Hi,

Ok now we know how to solve this problem what is actually causing it? Is it depending on the quality (high octane), or just dirt coming into the tank in several years while tanking gas. I never had any problems like this with my 91 Legacy having 218K kms, i only use 95 or higher. I also never used seamfoam (do not even know what it is) while everybody is very positive about this product.

Hi,

Ok now we know how to solve this problem what is actually causing it? Is it depending on the quality (high octane), or just dirt coming into the tank in several years while tanking gas. I never had any problems like this with my 91 Legacy having 218K kms, i only use 95 or higher. I also never used seamfoam (do not even know what it is) while everybody is very positive about this product.

age, bad tank of gas, too much sulfur in the gas.

http://www.homeandawaymagazine.com/Index_gauge_deception.cfm

http://www.lawyers.com/lawyers/A~1037846~LDS/Shell+Sells+Sulfur-tainted+Gasoline+In+Florida.html

http://www.bakerhughes.com/BakerPetrolite/newsbytes/press_release/nr_063004.htm

has agreat pic of what a sender looks like.

i have not used seafoam yet, it sounds like a modern marvelous mystery oil.

nipper