Ultimate Subaru Message Board

offroading mayhem*sorry no pics*

scrap487

Went out to this place just outside of gresham, pretty much this big field next to an elementary school, its totally legal as far as I can see, as in there arent any "no trespassing" signs according to the locals... although he said if the cops caught you coming out of there with muddy tires they'd fine you and make you clean the mud off the street.

Anyways, the original plan was for me to go out there with my friend and his toyota and my subaru, after having picked up the DOJs off an ea82 car from a junkyard so I can put my rear axles in(I clocked the torsion bar and need a bit extra travel). Well heres where things went wrong, my friends toyota was stolen from outside his house last night(major bummer cause he put over 3 grand into that thing and only has had it out a few times), and I didnt make it to the junkyard but I was like what the heck, fwd and no one to pull me out if I get stuck, I'll go anyways! WAHOO!

All I can say is I am impressed ONCE AGAIN what a subaru can do, I didnt get too serious into the deep mud bogging because I dont have a skid plate and there are some pretty deep ruts but I had plenty of fun in some soft gumbo. I was out there wheeling for about 2 hours and I never got stuck untill I lifted a front tire off the ground going over some ruts and even then after I pushed it around untill I got my front tire back on the ground it just took right off. I had fun, and my rig is getting ready for some serious wheeling, all I need now is a skid plate and a winch and i'll be good to go.

By the way, air filter is a good idea, found out engines dont like mud after some got thrown up under the hood and sucked into the intake, ran funny for about 15-20 minutes after that happened, valves were sticking but nothing an italian tuneup couldnt fix. I didnt realize I forgot to put my air filter back on untill I popped the hood to see why it was running funny.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a decent amount of travel out of the front without causing axle problems. I got right around 14-15" of travel in the rear which is really nice, really hard to lift a rear tire off the ground. Since I have another car for a daily driver now I'm considering switching to some other kind of IFS system, like something similar to my nissan 720 which is REALLY sweet but I think I'll need to switch to a tcase.

Are you talking about palmquest??? that place would be pretty cool if people would stop dumping there crap everywhere! the last time i went out there, i ran over someones cracked up winsheild :mad: luckily there was no damage, but it scared the crap outa me hearing the clunk noise as i went over it!:eek:

me and my buddy went out there when he first got his toyota last year and not even 15 minutes into the day, a cop came walking over. then maybe the next weekend we went in my other freinds jeep and the same thing happened. They said that some guy owned the land and he hates people going on it (because of the dumping!:mad: )

but now for some reason the cops dont come anymore:headbang:

I'm not sure, if your going out 26/burnside or whatever and take a right at the very last light on the way out of gresham as if you're going to mt hood... thats like palmquist road or somethign I forget but its not that far down that way. Yeah there was a lot of dumping I noticed, 3 abandoned trucks, one of them looked like it got so stuck they just left it, another one was just stripped down and a bunch of highschool kids were sitting on and around it smoking pot. also seems like theres been quite a few rollovers out there cause I was always running over misc. body(truck not people) parts.

was out there about 4 months ago got stopped by the cops after about 15-20 minutes and was told it was over $400 ticket for bieng out here the cop said the owner knew people where coming out and he didn't want them on the land. he let me go then went over and talked to a man and his two kids that we're following me around watching us. did say anything about washing the mud off the street though. it seemed as if the owner might live near by and calls the cops for as quick as they came out, it wasn't like they just was driving by either because from where we was at you couldn't see us from palmquist we was down in the trees play in the big mudhole and down in the ruts.

its to bad i kinda like it there its close to home but i agree didn't the garbage though.