Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cone Air Filter

Decided it was time to install my cone air filter I've had sitting on my shelf since I wrecked my Toyota and took it from it. Its a 3" Diameter K&N filter. I discovered that an older Toyota Celica / Previa adapter fits PERFECT. Bolt holes line up, and the square opening in the adapter is the same dimensions as the flapper style MAF's opening. If you're have a flapper style MAF, get an adpater for an older Celica/Previa.

Then it was time to wedge that cone filter in. I ended flipping the MAF upside down, and wedging the filter between the fender and the MAF. It fits snuggly.

I don't think I have much more power, but the throttle response is better. Plus, it sounds great.

kn_small.jpg

will the adapter for the toyota also fit in a hotwire style maf sensor?

i have an adaptor on my hotwire maf. not sure what the application was. i just grabbed it at the parts store and said 'hmm, i think this might fit my intake!' and it did!

thanks for the parts info. I was thinking of having one made with a 90 degree bend so that the filter wouldn't rub the fender and it would be easier to build a heat shield for it. You possibly make the cone filter fit inside the factory airbox and make the existing hole through the wheel well bigger. It would look bone stock and get lots of cold air. It wouldn't be as noisy as with no airbox.

So nobody is going for a full fenderwell intake?:confused: The coldest air you will get is from outside the engine bay. I just cut a hole into my fender, used a Honda Accord short ram intake(cut into sections of course), and went to work. Mine works great. :banana: And the car sits high enough that ingesting water isn't even a worry, well unless I decide to drive through a 2-3 foot deep puddle.

Patrick