Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is wind noise from both front door/window areas about were the rear view mirors are located. I have checked all the stripping and made modifcation withour success. Any Ideas

2003 legecy outback wagon

There is wind noise from both front door/window areas about were the rear view mirors are located. I have checked all the stripping and made modifcation withour success. Any Ideas

2003 legecy outback wagon

i think there is a TSB about wind noise, i just forget what 200X year it is.

Do a search here you may find it.

nipper

It is the triangular gusset that the side view mirrors are attached to. Subies have a frameless window door. Every time you close the door by pushing against the window or flex the window as when exiting the car in a tight driving spot and pressing against the window, it flexes that trangular area by the mirror. SOA replaced my gussets under an extended warranty but the tech also showed me that with the window down, try gently compressing (pinching together) the top of the triangle and thereby restore the original "seal" from wind noise. I'm not sure how well that technique works as I have been very careful about how I handle the glass since the gussets were replaced.

This problem comes up a lot. The seal right at the mirror area is the usual culprit. On my 02 OBW while at speed I could hold the seal by the mirror in with my fingers and stop the noise. My fix was to simply lower the window and sqeeze the seal. It has a sheet metal interior that bends easy under pressure. The result was that with the window up the rubber seal now contacted the glass and stopped the wind noise. My LTD has speakers right at this location and I pulled the grill off and removed the speaker first before I tackled sqeezing the seal. I'm not sure that I needed to do all that before squeezing the seal together, but it worked for me. Good Luck!

Thanks to the frameless window design, I believe all Subarus suffer from the wind noise around the triangular gussett area. Luckily a lot of people have found ways to fix it for good.

We just had a thread recently, a fellow member described the procedure in detail. As for me I just squeeze the gussetts with a clamp once in a while to keep 'em tight against the glass.

Also, remembering not to open and close the doors by holding the glass helps a bit.

Interesting enough, Audi thought about the top seals and wind noise on the TT roadster. With the top up, when you open the door the electric window goes down about 1/4 inch and stays that way until you shut the door and after about a second or so the electric window goes back to the full up position......all on its own!:brow:

Interesting enough, Audi thought about the top seals and wind noise on the TT roadster. With the top up, when you open the door the electric window goes down about 1/4 inch and stays that way until you shut the door and after about a second or so the electric window goes back to the full up position......all on its own!:brow:

a lot of convertables do that now

nipper

All the frameless bimmers do that I believe. My friend had a new mini did that. The roof on the mini comes down lower then the seal. If it doesn't open, the glass hits the bottom of the roof.

Big suprise, the module that controlled it went out and the glass smacked in to the roof each time the drivers door is opened.

Funny story, he got it fixed and then backed into his garage door and broke the glass.

I told him to buy a WRX, but what do I know.

I didn't have a wind noise problem until my car went to the body shop (for a crumpled door). It has been back, to the body shop, 5 times to try and get it right.

Wind noise was just one of the problems and it's still not fixed!

GURRR!:mad: