Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 front brakes on Legacy spindles!!!

baccaruda

I got some 1992 Legacy SS front brake caliper brackets.. and they accept the XT6 front brake calipers!!

thanks to Blackbart for the hookup, thanks to xtturbo on xt6.net for the research! I am really glad I won't have to deal with the rear E-brake conversion...

I am running 15" wheels so I don't anticipate clearance issues. I'll post a pic later this weekend.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

so if i understand this correctly... for those in the process of doing a 5lug swap (myself) i can use legacy hubs, spindles, rotors, axle's and xt6 brake calipers?

this is a good thing...

not to hijack but do all legacy's have 25 spline axles?

i think im going sunday to grab some legacy stuff... and some xt6 calipers

rllywgn

the answer is yes! but I don't know if 14" wheels are compatible, they might present clearance issues.

I *think* Legacies do have 25-spline axles.

You can use the XT6 spindles... common practice is to keep the spindles and rotors matched, and the brakes (of course) normally match the spindles.

My situation is as (:drunk:) follows:

Got Legacy parts car.

Kept Legacy spindles, rotors, axles from parts car.

Performed 5-lug swap using junkyard XT6 control arms in front.

(the ball joint is the same for XT6es and early Legacies)

Didn't research interchangeability of brake calipers.

Got the front calipers from the junkyard XT6.

Bought brand new Legacy KYB GR2s for the front suspension (with WRX springs!)

Found out that the XT6 caliper brackets don't fit the Legacy knuckles. :banghead:

New GR2s don't fit properly on the XT6 knuckles I dug up (thanks anyway Suberdave!) :banghead:

My choice was: ditch new struts and go with XT6 parts in the front end, or keep the new struts and find a way to retain the front E-brake (I'm trying to get the car back on the road, not add complications... rear e-brake is cool but = complication)

I had to find out if ANY Legacy caliper brackets would accept XT6 calipers, and I lucked out.

There is also a benefit in that the Legacy spindles supposedly have better bearings than the XT6es'.

So now I can put the ^%$#@ wheels back on my wagon!

• 4 years later...
IIRC the XT-6 calipers also work with the early Impreza hubs work as well.

the mounting holes between XT6 and EJ caliper brackets and knuckles are different. also they have slightly different rotor offset. BUT, XT6 calipers will slide onto early 2-pot (as mentioned, T-leg, I have a set of '93 JDM WRX calipers that are the same) caliper brackets, which can then be bolted to any EJ knuckle.