Ultimate Subaru Message Board

diesel power?

two part question: What cars in the us had diesel motors?

Second,How hard would it be to stuff a 70+ HP diesel in the brat?

I have this idea of a brat running on vegie oil.And because its a diesel it will make pretty good torque.Very usefull for turning bigish tires.

two part question: What cars in the us had diesel motors?

Second,How hard would it be to stuff a 70+ HP diesel in the brat?

I have this idea of a brat running on vegie oil.And because its a diesel it will make pretty good torque.Very usefull for turning bigish tires.

subaru has newer produced disel cars.

too small.

Your best bet is some sort of 4cyl truck motor or some sort of VW motor.

You will almost certainly have to have a lift kit installed in the car or there will be no hope for the hood clearance.

A diesel motor is going to weigh over 400lbs, BTW.

I am interested in putting a diesel in my Subaru as well.

I know that a 1.9 VW TDI will fit inside the engine bay of an 85+ GL but I don't know about how the crank will center up to the transmission.

I am also anticipating that I will need to beef up the crossmember as well as the front springs.

Of the older deisels that you can pick up cheap, either the aforementioned rabbit engine, or an Izuzu PUP 4 cylinder. Of the two the Izuzu is the better engine. Toyota also made some for their trucks but they are rare here in the US, and bigger I do beleive.

This needs moved to the retro-fitting forum.

GD

no question in my mind, a vw rabbit diesel is your best bet. they are reliable, snappy, good on gas, and easy to convert to veggie oil. there are also many bolt on mods for them. plus, you can score a whole parts rig for under $500 usually.

Off the top of my head:

Isuzu I-Mark and pickups

Chevrolet Chevettes 4cyl made by Isuzu

Toyota Tercel, Cressida and pickups

Nissan Sentra

BMW 524td and 80s Lincoln Continental, same 2.4L BMW turbo six

all of the above are rare

VW Golf/Rabbit/Passat/Jetta and others

virtually every Mercedes sedan made in the 80s

The 240D makes 62hp, 300D makes 77 and the turbo 300Ds make like 120 I think

I would go with the VW. they are proven, have a good knowledge base, and are sort of common. at least the 1.6NA diesel. the Isuzu pup or dodge D50 turbodiesels sound cool but I bet they are very rare.

a 1.6TD, 1.9TD, or TDi would be the best motor for a subaru. the 1.9TD is available pretty common out of canada, any of the older turbo diesels are pretty hard to find in the US and most are 1.6TD in mk2 jettas a few golfs maybe. there are some mk1 TD jettas, but they are rare as hell. rarer still are the rabbit GTD's, a 4 door turbodiesel with GTi suspension.

you can also turbo a 1.6NA by using 1.6TD parts, some of the NA's will have oil squirters and some not, oil squirters are good to have for turning the boost and pump up. you would probably need to use a 1.6TD pump as well. the mk3 cars had the 1.9TD, which is a decent motor as well.

if you are rich and/or a genius, you could look for a TDi but they are really complicated and expensive.