Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hatch update( with new video today)

did many of the bolts give you a hard time? i wish i had a cutting torch because wrestling with rusted bolts is a pain in the arse. did you check the rear inner wheel arches for rust? overall it still looks real solid. just patch it up and undercoat the heck out of it....

Yeah the rear inner arches are pretty much clean..surprisingly. The only problems I had were with the bolts in the fender those were so bad they just broke off haha. I have a cutting wheel so I was doin ok.

The lugnuts are a pain to get off, I broke two but couldnt get any of the others off.

That car is in EXCELLENT shape for the North East.

I would call it a GEM, actually.

Here's some before and afters from fixing up my 88 hatch. Notice the big patches I had already welded in on the floor in the first pic and the scary missing rocker panels! :eek:

The silver paint is Rust Bullet (a product similar to por15), the bedliner is Herculiner. If you want any tips just let me know. For now hopefully this will provide some inspiration...

hatch_before_01.JPG

Hatch_After_01.jpg

Hatch_After_02.jpg

Hatch_After_03.jpg

Wow, hatchmonster, that floor looks great! I am going to try to put the bedliner on the floor as well once I get the holes plugged and rady to go.

Are you planning on putting the carpeting back down in there?

Put down Rust Bullet or Por15 after you patch the holes and then do the bedliner, or else rust could form again under the bedliner.

No way I'm putting the carpeting back down as that's what held moisture against the floor and caused it to rust in the first place. I think the bedliner looks way cooler anyway! :headbang:

Ryan,

just out of curiosity, what did that cost you to rust bullet and bedline that whole floor? around $200?

it does look sweet! plus, you can just take a hose and clean it out after wheeling...

Jon

Let's see, I think I used about a quart of Rust Bullet (two coats brushpainted) $37

I used the one gallon herculiner kit. It's the perfect amount for the whole floor. $90

Paint brushes from the dollar store (throw aways so no cleanup) and latex gloves, about $5

So that's $132. So worth it IMO.

I haven't hardly torn into my blue one yet. I know what I said about not putting the carpet back in, but I want to make that one kind of swank, so I'm thinking about just doing rust bullet and then maybe dynamat ($$ haven't price that yet :eek: ) and then new automotive carpet with a vinyl backing.

Just the thing I definitely would not do is put the stock carpet and insulation back in... That stuff's the kiss of death up here.