Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another Roof Rack Question ...

Welp ... it looks like I've got my hands on some 1A RainGutter Towers - I actually went to a ski-shop to look at some & they let me "test fit" them (meaning just lay them on the gutters to see if they fit). It looks like if I want to keep the trim piece from popping, I should make a notch on the bottom of the trim so it can grab the gutters without popping the trim. I can take my little mini-grinder and eek-off maybe 1/4" just wide enough for the "grabbers" to get around it.

Anyone else do this, or is it really not necessary? Another question ... any REASON to keep the trim? It's not like I'm gonna enter my Soob in any car-shows or anything ...

I took my trim off it was just going to crush the the plastic anyways, that and you get a better fit to the car well thats what I figured anyways. And you shouldn't have any problems with the gutter mounts for strength, i stood in my safari rack and bounced up and down in there and i'm not lite by any means and its still there.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump -

Just thought I'd post a pic ... finally got my old-school Yakimas in there! I had to cut the bars down about 11" ... 5.5" on a side so I wouldn't impale myself (bought some new end-caps for $5 bucks). But the glass clears JUST fine - I put the clamps in between the doors for the front rack, so even if they had protruded down, the rear door swing misses where the bracket hits. and the rear rack is behind the rear door. Didn't have to remove the trim ... which surprised me.

I was reeeeally worried about strength, but I can pull the car with these things, I'm tellin' you! I can grab ahold of any of the bars and rock the car bigtime. The day I put these on, I saw an ad on craigslist for some rolling metal shelving units I've been looking for FOREVER. One went into the back - BARELY, and the other ... yep! You got it: on the roof racks! We're talking about 175lbs EACH. I'll bet I looked like the Beverly Hillbillies on the way home - on the Expressway, no less! Man, I should have taken a pic of that!

But BOY do they make some noise! I didn't realize it'd be that prevalent! Do those clamp-on deflectors really work?

DSC00034.jpg

P.S. just ignore the mop, storm window, furnace filters etc. hehe