Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback transmission slippage?

Last September, I purchased a 1999 30th anniversary edition Subaru

Outback with 112,000 miles on it. Around 2,000 miles after purchase, I

started to experience a sporadic issue with the transmission. When the

transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear it takes a long time (5-10

seconds) and feels as though it is slipping as the RPMs would wind

high. I changed the fluid and filter grasping at an economic solution.

This was no help. Now at 127,000miles, the condition is repeatable when

the transmission is cold. If I let the car idle for several minutes

before operation the problem seems to lessen. Other symptoms that I

have noticed are that if you accelerate hard when it is slipping the

RPMs will wind higher and slam you back when the shift is finally

completed. If you let off of the accelerator when the transmission is

slipping, the shift time lessens and is smoother.

I hope my explanation is clear enough. If not, please ask for specific

clarification. Any thoughts or help on this one?

Thanks,

Tom

doesn't sound good.

on older subaru's there's a POWER light that will blink 16 times when you first start the car if the TCU sees any transmission problems, does yours do that?

i'd unplug the shift resistor and see what happens. it's usually mounted on the passengers side strut tower on olther subaru's, not sure about yours. it kind of "smooths" out the shifts and drags them out a second or two. i always unplug mine to get firmer shifts. you could try the same just to see if it mitigates the problem at all. i don't think it will, but it's one plug and easy to do.

I don't think the 99 has an adjustable band. If it has the spin on filter, it doesn't have the band.

You may be right. Trailcarnage, IF there is a band adjustment screw, it is on the left side of the transaxle, it looks like on the upper portion of the unit. There is a large locknut on the adjusting screw. You might take a quick look for it, just to make sure.

Last September, I purchased a 1999 30th anniversary edition Subaru Outback[...] feels as though it is slipping as the RPMs would wind high. I changed the fluid and filter grasping at an economic solution. This was no help. Now at 127,000miles, the condition is repeatable when the transmission is cold.[...]

There are certainly a number of possible causes of the behavior you're describing. On the simple end of things, my own '99 OB gave me grief when the fluid level was just a little low, so that might be worth considering. Subaru's method for checking the level is included in:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EATDiagnosisWin02.pdf

As with automatics in general, the 4EAT is sensitive to fluid level, and neither too low nor too high is good. I've found that it isn't easy to get an accurate reading of the level. Start with the info in the above link. Because the fluid tends to stick to the dipstick tube, giving a false reading, I found it necessary to insert and wipe the dipstick off more than once. Even then, I look at both sides of the dipstick and use the side that indicates a lower level as being the correct one.

Once I got the fluid level correct, my OB's trans has been behaving. Perhaps you could be as fortunate.

In addition to the link I previously gave, here are a few more that might be of interest. By the way, the '99 4EAT (with external filter) is a Phase 2.

http://endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAatPh2Win04.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02Winter4EATTransOp.pdf

I believe the band on the 4EAT is adjustable. The procedure is detailed in the Haynes Subaru Legacy Manual.

there is a band adjustment, but the thing has been slipping for so long, the damage is done. Even if he can adjust the 2nd gear band, it may only work for a short time.

Out of curiosity what happens when you shift manually or start off from d2

nipper

there is a band adjustment, but the thing has been slipping for so long, the damage is done. Even if he can adjust the 2nd gear band, it may only work for a short time.

Out of curiosity what happens when you shift manually or start off from d2

nipper

I will have to try manual shift. I am not sure.