Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone give me some advice on where to find rotors for front and rear brakes as well as some rebuilt and possibly loaded calipers for rear brakes? Need to get this job done sooner than later, without giving over $500 to some "expert" with an overinflated sense of his labor's worth. Sorry for being such a mean guy, but seriously.

96 OBW, 108,000 mi, in need of some new brake parts. Please Help.

If you're intererested in OE parts, both rotors and remanufactured calipers are available from Subaru (if you're sure calipers are needed). I changed rear brake pads last weekend. I had on hand a caliper overhaul kit, which I bought mostly because it has replacement boots for the sliding pins, but it was not needed. The pad and caliper kits were purchased from subarugenuineparts (Jamie a.k.a. subiegal).

If you want to go aftermarket, make sure you get a caliper specified for wagon. On Impreza, the pads are the same between wagon and sedan but a wagon caliper has a bigger piston.

If you're looking for straight OE replacements you should check out - http://www.subaruparts.com/ , I've heard good things about them. If you have the money and go new OE rotors I would also recommend cyrotreatment but I can't tell you offhand where to go for that :-/.

I also sent you a PM with regards to some great condition but used stuff.

Lee

Thanks for the help. Midas quoted 700 for new front and rear rotors, new rear pads, and new rear hardware, so I've decided to go for the DIY approach (don't have my dad's tools at my disposal anymore, and freetime is hard to come by). On the plus side, they didn't try to replace any of my suspension components, so I'm pretty sure the suspension is in good shape.

Why do you think the rotors need to be replaced? You can turn them at least once. If they are trash, check the local yard I find like new ones all the time.

www.nasico.com has the WXR stock brakes that the go fast guys are selling cheap and there is always Ebay for cheap parts.

Thanks for the help. Midas quoted 700 for new front and rear rotors, new rear pads, and new rear hardware, so I've decided to go for the DIY approach (don't have my dad's tools at my disposal anymore, and freetime is hard to come by). On the plus side, they didn't try to replace any of my suspension components, so I'm pretty sure the suspension is in good shape.

i dont trust midas. Subaru rotors dont like resurfacing most times. Its just cheaper to get new rotors and not have warped rotors in 10,000 miles.

Why do you need so much brake work, i smelll a rip off. it is SO very rare that you need all 4 brakes at once.

The fronts do most the work. I see you say its 108,00 miles, maybe you need all 4 wheels, but why all 4 rotors

nipper

I don't trust midas either.

I know that my front pass. rotor has a rust colored ring a couple inches wide around it, and most likely needs replacing. Rear rotors, I haven't seen them yet, I will look at them most likely tonight or sunday to see what they were talking about. Front pads are fine, probably replaced by the dealer before I bought the thing.

What do you mean by "maybe you need all 4 wheels, but why all 4 rotors"? They also said I need new hardware on the rear brakes... supposedly.

I'm sure I need new pads on the back, and most likely new rotors on the front will help, don't know what the deal is with the hardware. Midas sucks.

I don't trust midas either.

I know that my front pass. rotor has a rust colored ring a couple inches wide around it, and most likely needs replacing. Rear rotors, I haven't seen them yet, I will look at them most likely tonight or sunday to see what they were talking about. Front pads are fine, probably replaced by the dealer before I bought the thing.

What do you mean by "maybe you need all 4 wheels, but why all 4 rotors"? They also said I need new hardware on the rear brakes... supposedly.

I'm sure I need new pads on the back, and most likely new rotors on the front will help, don't know what the deal is with the hardware. Midas sucks.

i meant you may need pads on all 4 wheels of the car, but i cvant see you needing 4 rotors, unless you were complaining about warped rotors. In order to need all 4 brakes, damn, your car must have sounded like nails on a chaulk board.

a ring of rust doesnt mean anything.

What are they calling hardware? There isnt much hardware to discs brakes, just 8 antisqueel plates, which you can reuse.

RUNRUN RUN very fats to an independent shop and get a second opinion. If you replace rotors you replace pads, but man a soobies brakes are so easy, something stinks big time. WHy do you need rear calipers? Frozen sliders can easily be fixed.

Brake jobs are SO easy, get yourself a haynes manual and do it yourself.

We will naswer your questions, man i HATE midas

nipper

I'm definitely going to do it myself, and I'm sure the rear calipers will NOT need replacing. If anything, I hope this post makes people realize how crappy Midas is. At least one of my front brakes is making a pretty bad grinding sound when I first start driving, and occasionally thereafter when coming to a complete stop. I won't make any unnecessary purchases for the brakes, only one set of pads, but at least 2 rotors.

I've rebuilt drum and disc brakes before on a 72 GMC, all without directions (and yes, it stops juuuust fine thank you very much) so I think I'll do alright on Bluey sue.

Rest assured, I will ask for help if needed, so be ready!!

I'm definitely going to do it myself, and I'm sure the rear calipers will NOT need replacing. If anything, I hope this post makes people realize how crappy Midas is. At least one of my front brakes is making a pretty bad grinding sound when I first start driving, and occasionally thereafter when coming to a complete stop. I won't make any unnecessary purchases for the brakes, only one set of pads, but at least 2 rotors.

I've rebuilt drum and disc brakes before on a 72 GMC, all without directions (and yes, it stops juuuust fine thank you very much) so I think I'll do alright on Bluey sue.

Rest assured, I will ask for help if needed, so be ready!!

er um, didnt i tell you we all were going away to picnic this weekend, and we wont be around :banana:

If youve done GM, soobies are a dream. I bet you have one stuck frt caliper (clean the slides) and mabe need just one rotor.

nipper