Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have

part number 499987200? Its that special tool to retorque the headgaskets without pulling the cam carriers. Subaru says its discontinued :-\

Or I can make one, I have a welder, I just need to know what lenght extension to use so its not too long.... a basic writeup might be helpful;)

Thanks!

there's directions on here how to make one. take a socket and cut/grind it down, etc. WJM also posted contact info and said it "should" be available from somewhere, i had no luck.

you retorquing your ER27 or EA82T?

ditto, at one point I looked at what it would take to make one of these sockets.... Basically you just need to take a standard socket, and make it shorter. Probably a lot easier than ordering an expensive part that you may not be able to find.

Really not that hard to make - get a snap-on socket, and grind it down (use a lot of water - you don't want to overheat it an remove the temper. You have to grind from both ends, and taper the wrench side a bit for it to fit under the cam.

There's actually a better alternative however - use the Fel-Pro perma-torque gaskets. They are superior, and do not require retorqueing. I've used them on a lot of engines now, and I love their design. Not 20 yr old parts from japan. Head gasket technologoy has come a long way in that time, and the Fel-Pro's are some of the best for any vehicle application I can think of.

GD

Really not that hard to make - get a snap-on socket, and grind it down (use a lot of water - you don't want to overheat it an remove the temper. You have to grind from both ends, and taper the wrench side a bit for it to fit under the cam.

There's actually a better alternative however - use the Fel-Pro perma-torque gaskets. They are superior, and do not require retorqueing. I've used them on a lot of engines now, and I love their design. Not 20 yr old parts from japan. Head gasket technologoy has come a long way in that time, and the Fel-Pro's are some of the best for any vehicle application I can think of.

GD

never used them, but now I will

Shawn... cool, I'll take you up on that... I am actually doing a EA82T, but not mine.... we put OEM gaskets into Mikeshoups XT Turbo and it just needs a retorque, but I'd still like to find the tool.... The snap-on guy told Noss he could get one, and they are only about $40 or so.....

guess what time it is guys. DUMB QUESTION TIME!!!!!! what exactly is re-torqueing? thanks for being patient with the fairly-noobs.

Retorquing is sometimes required during headgasket break in. When metal is heated it expands and contracts when it cools.. When you put new HGs in an engine they will expand and contract the first few hundred miles or so possibably causing the bolts that hold the head to the block to become loose. Retorquing is required on some desingns of HGs so that the bolts do not become looser causing HG failure.

GD

Are the Fel-Pro permatorque gaskets thicker than the stock gaskets? If they are, doesn't this lower the compression ratio?

Re: The original question...

I was at Sears the other day looking for some sockets to mutilate for this purpose, and came across something that might work just fine. It is a shallow 6-point 17mm socket with integral u-joint (3/8ths inch drive). I test fitted it on an EA82 head and it seemed to reach all of the bolt heads without any noticeable angularity of the u-joint.

Part#9 43208

Desc: "3/8 In dr. Flex 17mm socket"

List price: US$8.49

The only concern that I would have with it would be that u-joint angularity would have to be compensated for somewhat when setting the torque wrench, but it doesn't look like it would be significant.

Looks like it could be useful in other situations, too.

OZ/NZ friends (and any other non-US folk): How are the socket-drive sizes specified in your areas? Ours are all "English"/SAE (1/4", 3/8", 1/2"). Do use the same "convention" or do you have metric drive sizes?