Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to give my experience with clutch replacement. I have a 00 OBW with 152,000mi. The clutch had been slipping in 3rd for about the last 10,000 miles. I took it to an indy shop in Hendersonville, NC. They went ahead and replaced the passenger side axle(torn boot) while they were at it. They also did brakes front and back and replaced the stripped studs on the front passenger side. All this for $997. Can't say if that good or bad, but I feel they weren't taking advantage of me since my wife and I have been taking our vehicles there for a long time. The clutch was in a kit that included the TO and pilot bearing and pressure plate. He replaced the seal as well. I drove my wifes Xterra all yesterday and when I got back in my car I almost put the clutch pedal through the floor. This reminded me of how butterfly light these clutches are. It also engages right at the top of the pedal stroke. Now I will be curious if the clutch judder I had is gone. Only time will tell.

It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to give my experience with clutch replacement. I have a 00 OBW with 152,000mi. The clutch had been slipping in 3rd for about the last 10,000 miles. I took it to an indy shop in Hendersonville, NC. They went ahead and replaced the passenger side axle(torn boot) while they were at it. They also did brakes front and back and replaced the stripped studs on the front passenger side. All this for $997. Can't say if that good or bad, but I feel they weren't taking advantage of me since my wife and I have been taking our vehicles there for a long time. The clutch was in a kit that included the TO and pilot bearing and pressure plate. He replaced the seal as well. I drove my wifes Xterra all yesterday and when I got back in my car I almost put the clutch pedal through the floor. This reminded me of how butterfly light these clutches are. It also engages right at the top of the pedal stroke. Now I will be curious if the clutch judder I had is gone. Only time will tell.

just asking; when I had a clutch put in my first turbo stick, with the hyd clutch the pedal was at the top. was told by most it could not be adjusted. it could and I did lower the take up point. ask if they could adjust it for you. price is something that goes with the service and how they back up the service. if you understand what I am saying.

guy I know sales cars. he will tell you as is, yet if you drive away and came back a few days later, he would still see to it that it was fixed. he has many repete buyers and word of month sales more cars then ads could ever is the way he see's it.

all and all the price was fair for sure. and as you said you have been doing business for a while. enjoy the subaru and a summer of fun driving. a stick in a subaru is a great combination. be well, be safe and enjoy your ride.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me too. I've too have been quoted around $1000 for the clutch and related things. This is in Northern VA outside DC. 150,000 miles on a clutch isn't bad, what kind of driving do you do?

just asking; when I had a clutch put in my first turbo stick, with the hyd clutch the pedal was at the top. was told by most it could not be adjusted. it could and I did lower the take up point. ask if they could adjust it for you. price is something that goes with the service and how they back up the service.

Can you adjust a hyd clutch, yes. SHould it be adjusted, no. By adjusting it you are taking out the lash adjustment that is there for heat expansion, and can fuin the clutch. Sometimes you luck out, others time you dont at all.

nipper

Well it's been 2 weeks now and I haven't had any clutch judder yet. The compound bow action of the clutch pedal seems to be breaking in a little although that could be me getting used to it. I will say that I'm pleased with the performance. Glad to hear that the price was fair. I think I lucked out on that. I will post back if the the judder returns.