Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hose under turbo

it is a pita... but it can be done with small hands.. it is a molded tube and recommended as a dealer peice. i found a tube that was similar at napa and used it. retain the factory heat shield tubing and patience is the key.. it is possible to do without tearing everything apart, but it easier if you remove the turbo..

I did it with the turbo on the car, with big hands, and no tools. That was the least fun I ever had working on a car. I found a new hose that was the same size and shape at NAPA, but the factory heat wrap was toast and finding new material can be pretty tough.

Yea. Been there, did this one. I hate that hose and its location.:banghead: I have smallish hands and still could not do the job without taking the turbo off. The job will be much quicker if you do. I tend to waste more time trying to find a short-cut around a repair than if I would take the time to do the repair in a normal fashion, turning my short-cuts into long-cuts.

I agree the best way is just to remove the turbo. do both hoses while you are there.

I strongly recomend using high quality 1/2" silicone heater hose. regular coolant hose will fail after a while due to the heat. trust me on that one.

oem hoses would be really nice too but are slightly more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't thanked you guys for your advice. I got busy with the hoses and you know, but anyhow thanks. I finally got it done. I took the innercooler off to get to the turbo, the turbo off to get to the hoses and the chin bones connected to the ankle bone and you know the rest of that song. I replaced all of the hoses and I wrapped them with aircraft heat tape and put thermotech alluminum sleeves over it. That should hold up for a while. It's up and running better than ever. I found some loose intake bolts, so tightening them up cured some problems. So, I guess it was worth it. Even though it's a PITA, pulling the turbo is the best way to go. Thanks again...