Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber 32/36 too rich?? Too Lean? Wrong Jets Maybe?

So I installed my Weber today. I got the carb from a Subaru in the junkyard, so I assume it has the propper jets. I read the Weber thread, and did some searching on the net about these things, but I figured I'd just throw this thread up here and see if any of the weber guru's could help out..

So I bolted the thing to the manifold. Plugged everything that wasnt used, put the Hitachi fuel nipple on... with the hitachi return line. THat way I use the fuel line and the return line off the same nipple. Figured out the throttle cable and turned the key. Amazingly, it started right up. I was stoked, figured everything was golden until I gassed it. As soon as I gas it, the engine falls on its face. If I feather the throttle it does alright, but if I go WOT from an idle, the motor sounds like its about to die. Mostly whenever the 2ndary is open, the car bogs down real bad. I read some internet literature on the carb, figured out how to adjust the mixture and everything... and i got it to run alittle better. But on the test drive, it just bogs out whenever the 2ndary is open.

Everything I read was on adjusting the primary, didnt see anything about the 2ndary. But I did see a screw in the back of the carb that I assume is for the 2nary??? I made some adjustment to that but it did no good.

Not sure what jets are in this carb, but I was gonna take the top off tomorrow and take a look around. Just wondering if this would be a problem with jets or something I can fine tune?

Thanks,

-Brian

Thinking more along the lines of clogged jets myself. Possibility of float level set to low causing it to run out of gas, comes to mind also. Does it only do it when running down the road, or will it bog down when you free rev it in neutral also?

Free rev too.

I also forgot to mention the car bucks when i slowly accelerate. If I go WOT in gear, the car hesitates for a bit... then goes like a raped ape. No bucking at WOT, only if I try to keep the rev's down.

Everything im reading on the net about this thing, doesnt talk about adjusting the float bowl.

-Brian

Ok... so today i got my new filter and went outside to put it on. Figured i would take the top off the carb and look around.

'OLY FAHOLY It was messy in there! Dirt, Rust, Grime... probably a year or two of buildup and old gas sitting in there. Did a good job of scrubbing the float bowl, removed quite a bit of gunk from in there. I also noticed two small brass screw dealy's down there. I thought those might be my jets, so i removed them and sprayed them clean. Then I took the can of carb cleaner with the straw at the end, pointed it down in those holes and sprayed... WOW what a bunch of crap! Tons of Crap came out of those holes. Both the brass cap things said 140 on them. Not quite sure what they are.

Then i worked my way up. Noticed the same brass looking dealy dobs on the top of the carb... removed one at a time and proceded to blow them clean with the can of carb cleaner. One said 180 and one said 160. Are these my jets? Did a good job of blasting those clean, along with whatever was in the center of those jets. Then did a once over on the float and everything else.

Reassembled the carb, put my new filter on, and started it up. I tried to tune it the best i can, but as it is its running 200x better than it did before. I may have to take it to a local expert and just pay them to fine tune it. I still have a dead spot if I go WOT from an idle. Seems whenever the 2ndary opens up, it has a slight hesitation then really kicks in.

-Brian

Those are your main jets. The 140's are standard for Subaru's. If it has trouble passing smog then you'll need to adjust the air metering jets.

Most times the hesitation will be solved by adjusting the timing a bit.

140 is good, but the 180 air corrector is not. Should be 170 on the main, and 160 on the secondary IIRC.

But it sounds like that thing is dirty - I bet the accelerator pump diaphram is either shot, or the accelerator pump system is clogged. That would explain your hesitation nicely.

GD

Yep you nailed it! I would put my money on the accelerator pump diaphram.Especially after all the other crud you already cleaned out of it.