Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Nomal" cooling system behavior 2.2 engine

I'm still getting acquainted with a '92 Legacy/2.2 engine I bought a couple of months back, and I'm wondering if there is a problem with the cooling system I've overlooked. Since there were several unknowns when I bought the vehicle, I replaced water pump, timing belt and front seals on the 140K engine. For about a month no surprises; then about two weeks ago on a cool (60-65 degree) morning after a couple mile trip to the grocery store I noted the radiator fans running--top hose to the radiator hot, bottom cold. Temperature indicator showing normal running temperature. Got a replacement thermostat from NAPA (STC brand, same as what was in the car when I bought it) and things seemed in order until about 10 days later--I got to work--about a 6-mile trip and the same scenerio--fans running, hot upper hose, cold lower. Went back to NAPA and told 'em I thought they probably had a bad batch of thermostats and wanted something from another mfg. They came up with an OEM style with the bleed hole, but the problem persists, not consistently--the thermostat seems to reliably open on the (usually) hot afternoon commute home without any indication of overheating (instrument panel temp indicator at about 3:30 position or slightly under halfway up the gauge which seems normal for this particular car), but short trips on cool mornings seem to get the cooling fans running before the thermostat opens, though the instrument panel temp indicator is at about the same spot as on a 90 degree day idling in traffic. So is this normal behavior for this engine, or do I still have thermostat problems or other bigger problems? Or is it just a fan temperature sensor that is a little too sensitive in relation to thermostat opening temperature? Thoughts anyone?

Woody

We always say to use a subaru thermostat (aftermarkets cause headaches). Now the 2.2 is a reverse flow (thermostat on the bottom). Since the temp gauge isnt saying anything (and they are a reliable place to get info). im a bit puzzled. Your not showing the typical symptons of an air buble in the cooling system, but thats the first thing i would check. Is the car full of coolant after its been run?

Check the raditor for flow after you put in the new OE thermostat, replace the cap too since your there (its not expensive).

For the hell of it check the physical condition of the radiator and make sure its ok.

nipper

I noticed you say "fans". If you have the defroster or a/c on, both fans run when the a/c compressor comes on. I think only one fan comes on when the engine temp. gets too high and then the second one if the first doesn't cool things down. This seems to be the way my Subaru works although it's a newer model.

I noticed you say "fans". If you have the defroster or a/c on, both fans run when the a/c compressor comes on. I think only one fan comes on when the engine temp. gets too high and then the second one if the first doesn't cool things down. This seems to be the way my Subaru works although it's a newer model.

thats way its always been since 1978 :)

ive owned a few of these things

nipper