Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it Worth Fixin??

Getting a 92 Loyale 5speed wagon latter today for free. :banana:

It has a blown head gasket at least. Bubbles in the radiator and leaks badly from the timing cover where the water pump is. Over heating is the only problem with it.

Runs nicely other wise but has like 250K+ miles on it. One of my neighbors has it and they got it from another neighbor who bought it new.

Body and interior in nice shape except for the smell of mice. Rear wiper doesn't work. All electric windows work. Crack in lower winshield but does not obstruct view. Less than 500 miles on the tires!!

Is it worth fixing to resale? With that kind of milage will I be able to find a buyer for enough money to make it worth my time?:confused:

Looking forward to doing a head gasket job just for the experience. But then I do have an ej22 that needs one also.

I do have a spare ea82 parts motor if I need any thing major besides the gaskets and water pump.

Opinions welcomed, Thankx, Stumpy

If it's 4WD, then fix it - shouldn't cost more than about $200 in parts - that includus doing all the needed belts and water pump and stuff. Maybe $100 more if you need to mill the heads.

If it's 2WD - part it out.

GD

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel :lol:

Yep, its a 4X4.

Just got it home. Used my Legacy to tow my trailer with the Loyale on it. Wouldn't recomend it for a long haul but the neighbor only lives 4 miles away and no need to get past 2nd gear. Stumpy

i think its definatly worth fixing, just because the body condition alone. switch the motor out, or fix the hg's, then resell it for $1000, i bet someone would take it.

if the milage wasn`t filled in on the title, just go to a pap and get a speedo with like 120k lol:lol: i know, thats bad advice:brow:

I would repair it. For an idea of what it may be worth... I was about to get around $1200 for each of my 88 GL's with 220-250K on them with fresh head gaskets, timing belts, and oil seals and such. This was like 2 years ago... this being a newer car... I would expect to get $1500 if its REALLY nice, most likely around $1000, or if its nasty inside, like $750.

From the pics I would bank most on the 1250-1000 range.

PS I have a timing belt tensioning tool if you need to borrow it.

Thanks for the offer GD. I'm a bit short of funds so I won't be taking on the project just yet. Have a trans job on a 91 Legacy and hook up the motor on 71 510 Datsun and get running so I can sell them to stimulate the bank account and change the sceanery in my yard!

Other than a hole in the carpet (Under drivers feet) the inside seems nice. My sense of smell isn't the greatest so I haven't noticed the mice smell. Just taking the old owners word on that. Some incense may help!

Blue book is like $1,400+ in fair condition. With the head gasket fixed it should rate a little better. But don't expect to get book value.

Well, it didn't come quite free. Came with $100 cash and dinner. All I had to do was a water pump on an old Dodge motor home last weekend.

Stumpy

• 5 months later...

Picked up a wrecked 91 Loyale FWD today for a heart donor for this project. Couldn't test run it as the rad is into the fan and the front wheel is shoved back against the wheel well. Impact on front left corner only!

Only has 129K miles on the clock.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to me and I'll be able to get some work done on it this next week.

Plus I can use the old motor and the FWD Auto trans for my trike project.

Unless I get rich soon and can afford an ej set up like I would prefer. LOL

Stumpy