Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 tranny in Impreza?

s'ko

Any thoughts here?

I have a 5 spd imp that i has a damaged tranny. Let a buddy drive it and he wasn't use to the short throw shifter. Down shifter from 5th to 2th on the freeway.

I have a GL-10 tranny and LSD diff in the garage.

1) What are benefits of going from the stock Imp gearing to the GL-10 gear?

2) Besides that adapter plate and wiring a cable clutch what else needs to be modded. Speedo cable or anything else?

BW

The tranny ratio might be different then the Impreza rear diff. Tranny mount is different. But the big question is WHY?? Just because you have it? It will probably cost you more to make the GL-10 tranny fit into the Impreza then it would just to get another Impreza tranny. I hope you friend is paying for this, he isn't much of a friend if he isn't.

I have wondered this all day (Note to self: Get a life...): What makes you think that the tranny is blown? It is far more likely that overreving will blow up the engine before it bothers the tranny. Is there a hole in the tranny's case?

Sorry for going OT, but these things nag at me. :rolleyes:

yeah that's what I figured.

Does anyone have a chart of gear ratios from the various EJ years?

For some reason there seem to be a lot of Legacys going to the PAP and not imprezas.

I have seen some 5spd awd Legs there so that my by inexpensive source for a tranny. I guess I need to replace my clutch anyways so I might as well do both at the same time.

BW

besides the outback, forester, and wrx, all imprezas and legacys share the same final drive, 4.111, so you can mix and match trannys. only thing is the gear ratios might be different from generation to generation, but as long as you match the final drive with your tranny you will be fine. i would like to see a fwd 5 speed from an EA car in a impreza w/ a helical front diff.

~Josh~

besides the outback, forester, and wrx, all imprezas and legacys share the same final drive, 4.111, so you can mix and match trannys. only thing is the gear ratios might be different from generation to generation, but as long as you match the final drive with your tranny you will be fine. i would like to see a fwd 5 speed from an EA car in a impreza w/ a helical front diff.

~Josh~

Where did you get that info. I have a rear diff from a Legacy with a 3.90 ratio. I know Imprezas that have a 4.444 ratio. It is really hard to generalize with Subarus, just as soon as you think you have all the info, something else crops up.

Per a posting in:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60618

All AWD 90-91 MT & AT normally aspirated Legacies have a 4.111 final drive ratio.

All AWD 91-94 MT & AT turbo Legacies have a 3.900 final drive ratio.

All AWD 92-94 MT normally aspirated Legacies have a 4.111 final drive rato.

All AWD 92-94 AT normally aspirated Legacies have a 3.900 final drive ratio.

All FWD 90-94 MT & AT Legacies have a 3.700 final drive ratio.

The 91 turbo legacy was the only one to have a rear VLSD.

Thanks for all of the info.

Does anyone know what the final drive of my 2000 OBS.

I guess I can crawl underneath and take a peak, but if someone has the info handy that would be great.

BW

Thanks for all of the info.

Does anyone know what the final drive of my 2000 OBS.

I guess I can crawl underneath and take a peak' date=' but if someone has the info handy that would be great.

BW[/quote']Should be in the owners manaul.

• 4 years later...
im in the the middle if converting an impreza auto to an 87 DR 5spd fairly strait forward so far but its not a daily driver just a toy

please stop digging up 4+ year old threads! It's great knowing that you're using the search function....but the next step is watching the date on your search results.