Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I buy non DOT aproved tires?

Tosh

I've been trying to track down a place that will sell me a set of Pirelli Competizioni Rally S1 tires (the crazy snow ones) or perhaps a set of Rally K4's (the gravel ones)

I'm really not looking to do any "4x4" as far as crawling threw mud or anything of that nature. Not that that isn't fun I've just done it both in my wagon and in trucks and well its just not my cup of tea. My mindset is if its done at less then 20 mph and your not cornering well its just not my cup of tea.

I've never really spent big money on tires before but I'm kind of turning over a new leaf. Partially because I just sold my 240sx which I mainly used for drifting, so I won't be needed a new set for the rears every 2 months.

as for the snow tires I would ONLY be using them when I'm going to be driving in snow, its frigging Washington I'm not going to be like one of the old ladies who puts her studded snow tires on the day she is legally allowed to just so she can drive around down town Olympia all winter and make annoying noises. I'd put em on when its time for snow and then take them off when the day is done.

I'm really interested in spending the extra money to get a set of rally spec tires A as kind of a "quality" insurance and B it would also be a tad on the bad rump roast side of things.

I'm not trying to insult any of you 4x4 guys the stuff you do is crazy and really awesome. I'd love to hit some trails (that I wouldn't need to lift my roo for) just don't expect me to be going 20 mph cause the road is dirt and has some medium sized rocks in it.

try the perelli site?

you can't buy direct from the Pirelli site and the nearest distributor that has them is in Europe or japan. As far as distributor's listed on their site go.

don't get me wrong here, it sounds like an awesome project, but not for the offroad forum....you'd probably get a much more effective answer on nasioc or your local rally club.

I don't have any contact with nasioc (I don't even know what that is but I'm about to google it) and I have no idea who my local rally club is. I just figured seeing as its not ON road then it must be OFF road seeing as its the offloading section not the 4wheeling section I figured some one else who has rally knowledge might check in here.

Call les schwab. call big O tire. call just tires. Call any tire place and ask them... im sure they can answer your question.

Chances are, your not gonna be able to find non-DOT tires from any local tire house anyways, your probably going to be forced to order them direct or from a dealer out of state/country.

I'm really not looking to do any "4x4" as far as crawling threw mud or anything of that nature. Not that that isn't fun I've just done it both in my wagon and in trucks and well its just not my cup of tea. My mindset is if its done at less then 20 mph and your not cornering well its just not my cup of tea.

Then yeah, your asking in the wrong forum.

-Brian

sorry, my last post sounded kinda mean. I simply meant that most of the people who frequent this forum are about rock crawling or mud boggin...and probably won't know.

http://www.nasioc.com it's just another forum, with way more members, and all newer gen (better chances of them having experience in this sort of thing)

I can't help you specifically with a local rally group, but I do know that the minnesota one has a forum, also alot like this one.

I do also know that most local rally guys run BFG Mud Terrains

I do also know that most local rally guys run BFG Mud Terrains

I've got a really good set of AT tires on the wagon now. I'm looking mainly for a set of REALLY good snow tires I know snow + speed isn't a good idea so I'd like to make it as safe and fun as possible.

I've been trying to track down a place that will sell me a set of Pirelli Competizioni Rally S1 tires (the crazy snow ones) or perhaps a set of Rally K4's (the gravel ones)

whoa, the 135/90R16 of the S1 would scare me... I'd be constantly afraid I was going to pop the bead... I'd go with a real tire in a different size...

at least the K4 comes in decent sizes, but wimpy tread...

--Spiffy

why not get some rally tires that are cheap and common? such as kumhos or silverstones? you can get takeoffs from prorallyists for a decent price, and there are several teams in the puget sound area.

I'm looking for snow/ice tires.

blizzak revo's AMAZING!! I rode in a GC8 STi swap at our MNSubaru annual ice race event, and holy crap did they grip!!

I have a set of Cooper Weather Master S/T2 snow tires, I think they're 155/80R13s. very impressive grip, fits nicely on the stock 13" wheel. I was catching up to a turbo RS in my lifted wagon at the ice race (until the engine seized :-\ )

you don't need to get non-DOT stuff to get real good snow tires!

ive heard real rave reviews from the peeps in the northeast about them. any more than 6'' you might want to think about a different tire, but they grip a helluva lot better on ice and snow than any other all season. its all in the tread compound basically. SCC did a little article about that tire a while back. not to bad in the dry either.

~Josh~

if your asking about the blizzaks (bridgestne tire) yes they do come in a 13"

just got some spokes from " bratsrus1 " that have some old ones mounted

had a buddy that bought them for his 81 wagon slapped the spokes on backwards (grinding the hub to make it work ofcource) and drove all winter/summer long with no real problems up in renton (tires where dead after that)

down side cost $$ and the tire is a super soft compound not but it looked like they could also be studded thou sold as studless tire

but your talking ice/snow + speed not realy a good combo exspecialy down in your neck of the woods

P.S. try "discount tire" http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/cgi/selection?state-map=WA&country=US&map.x=100&map.y=142

they always got hella chep prices

had a buddy that bought them for his 81 wagon slapped the spokes on backwards (grinding the hub to make it work ofcource) and drove all winter/summer long with no real problems up in renton (tires where dead after that)s

anybody got any pictures of spokes on backwards ? I'd like to see what that looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy has a set of 4 pirelli (p zeros?)for sale, they were used on subiegals rally car... but they are 14's meant for a impreza. if you are interested my roomate has i think 10 or so sets of pugs that he has for sale. the tires are in pretty good condition and he got them cheap ... subiegal only runs a set of tires for like 2 races my roomate is mtnman38 and i am ninjsben43... oh and i met a guy at a rallycross that sells new and used rally 13's for a pretty good price i just cant remember his .com but ican ask my buddt if you want me too, let me know (im):headbang: