Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 Brake Caliper Question

On my cars I've always changed the pads before this happened - The previous owner of this car wore the pads down to the backing plate. :eek: Now the piston is giving WAY more resistance to being screwed back in than all the other subarus I've done this on. At this point (piston waaaay out) do I have to take apart the caliper - or do you think relieving the brake pressure via the bleeder screw would help, then follow normal procedure? (btw - I already removed the M/C cap to help a little bit with the pressure issue) Thanks in advance -

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

yes, loosening the bleeder screws will help. If the piston hasn't been turned in much (ever? in your case) then the resistance probably isn't much to worry about. If the piston is rusty or if the boot around it is torn or cracking, then you might consider replacing the caliper.

since brake fluid is also an excellent paint remover, make sure you suck a little out of the MC to accomodate for the fluid that will be displaced into the MC. Use a turkey baster, not a straw, for this ;)

On my cars I've always changed the pads before this happened - The previous owner of this car wore the pads down to the backing plate. :eek: Now the piston is giving WAY more resistance to being screwed back in than all the other subarus I've done this on. At this point (piston waaaay out) do I have to take apart the caliper - or do you think relieving the brake pressure via the bleeder screw would help, then follow normal procedure? (btw - I already removed the M/C cap to help a little bit with the pressure issue) Thanks in advance -

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -