Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone with pictures of two tone paint jobs? (loyale wagons)

I'm looking for pictures of 86 and newer gl and loyale wagons with two tone paint. I'd like to see how two tone looks, but haven't found many photos on USMB.

This fall & winter will be the 10th anniversary of the purchase and customizing of my wagon. I need to have rust fixed and get it painted, and I think the Beefaru deserves it after being so good to me for so long (and I finally have the money ha ha).

Since it was built winter of 1996 I'm thinking of using 2006 outback paint scheme for it. Can't decide if I want two-tone or not. If so, not sure if I want to stop at the bottom of the door bumpers, and go over the fender flares or go up to the seam above the door bumpers and over the flares.

Please post any pix you might have, and I'll put up a photoshop version if I have a chance. Thanks!! --E

Here's one draft:

2tone_1.jpg

The blue & green look lighter in the real world. Both colors are 2006. Blue is outback "atlantic blue pearl", and green is tribecca "seacrest green metallic". The stock "rare" blue that I have is similar to 2006 blue but it has more indigo. Very similar.

Here's some photos for reference:

sgmweb.jpg

abp.jpg

Here's one draft:

2tone_1.jpg

both look awsome i particulary like the blue one :brow:

i dont like the over fender bit on the new O/B but i think it would suit your car down to the ground:headbang:

that is how i would paint mine if i had one of thoes

Here's a mockup with silver trim similar to 06 outback. '06 outbacks I looked at have trim higher on front/rear fenders and lower at the doors. No outback blue, but the stock paint is close enough to get an idea.

OB_web_blue.jpg

bot_only.jpg

and before:

b4_bot.jpg

I'm so used to the solid color, but the idea of a nod to the outback paint scheme is pretty cool.

I like the blue one the best, but the green is nice too. I second the idea of bringing up the paint to the body line (so above the black trim) Then just follow that line up and over the wheels. Also... paint the bottoms of the bumpers. The top on the 87-89 models was painted on the bottom and black on the top.

well,not a 86 or newer, but same body style

i used bedliner tho, turned out good i think...

Thanks for the pic!! Ah...I thought the loyale body started 86 but must be 85. Wagon looks GREAT. Gives me a good idea of light green. Is that metallic green? I've thought a lot about a bedliner on the lower 1/2, but I'd like a color that blends better with road dirt. In the next couple days I'll put up some more combinations.

Im thinking about 2toning my blue wagon...so far ive taken off the trim and gotten black plastic trim holder things and pushed into the holes sealing them from rain and it kind of looks like rivits down the side similar to nissan trucks and such....probably going to use some of the spray on undercarriage rubberized coating on the lower half.

2tone to the trim....

2trim.jpg

--E

Close.... if I had photoshop I would tinker with it a bit more.... try painting the bumpers too and the little 1 inch groove above the black trim too. That looks good too, but having both next to each other may help make the decision easier. I still like that pic though :D

Great pictures and feedback. Its generated more ideas. Some like the 2tone higher, some lower, some over the wheel flares, some not.

So here's all the mockups in one place. The only thing I haven't done is a paint scheme that doesn't go over the wheel flares. I think outbacks around 2002 had it like that.

Stock paint only

2tone painted similar to 2006 outback

2tone painted to bottom of door trim (bumpers included)

2tone above trim to door ridge (bumpers included)

If you have firefox or safari, open the photos in separate tabs. They're exactly the same size...makes comparison easy.

So far, I like the trim dividing the two colors the best. The silver keeps a straight line from front fender to bumper as well. What the hell, maybe a post for a poll is in order --E

Thanks for the pic!! Ah...I thought the loyale body started 86 but must be 85. Wagon looks GREAT. Gives me a good idea of light green. Is that metallic green? I've thought a lot about a bedliner on the lower 1/2, but I'd like a color that blends better with road dirt. In the next couple days I'll put up some more combinations.

Yea ea82 wagon body style started in 85. thanks, its a subaru color called Harb green. Paint code 535 i believe. The black of the bedliner shows dirt pretty good, but i dont care, my car is always dirty anyway. I just love the fact that since i do a LOT of logging road driving, that rock chips dont matter :headbang: