Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet Another OEM Muffler

Going down the highway last night, something was getting louder and louder and louder .. I pulled into a rest stop and heard rattling at the muffler. I banged on it, and it gutted itself a pipe. Adding more air at top end with a glasspack as resonator does not go well with the oem muffler.

What is good aftermarket muffler real cheap.. preferrably "turbo " muffler. I haven't looked locally here but did find this at jcwhitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000280352/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000280352/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000280352

oldmuffler26dd.jpg

Nice! just what I had in mind :)

I would love to keep it the way it is. For as long as I have heard subarus run this loyale with a glasspack in the middle has the most unique sound, with the muffler bellowing like an ampitheatre. Its like a whistle and bass of high compression and harley motorcycle type sound all in one.I'm gonna record it and post before I fix it. Strangely, I have driven by several sitting police officers and no trouble:eek:

Those mufflers with the big tips that every neighborhood gets annoyed by doesn't even come close to what this car does with a bad muffler for free :lol: . Thanks for p/n,will check it out. exactly what I was hoping for.Any other cheap muffler while I'm at the question?

Thank You. OEM seems to be just like a cherry bomb.upon analyzing old muffler-- it really needed bigger.The insides were 1.75 or less and too small to get the job done. All i did was make air flow easier at top end to blow the guts out, literally slid right out of the muffler. (clogged pressure?). I went for a fairly long ride and noted that low end torque increased and temperature stays down on longer hills ,etc. and it is quite warm and muggy today. It is just incredibly loud. The only prob I have noted is the smell of blow-by/overfuel. 153k miles and 13 years it is still impressive.I climbed the steepest longest hills here locally without downshift from 5th - normally downshifting.Learned a little something today about exhaust on old my loyale... if i can achieve what it is doing now with a quieter setup, I'll be searching for old 2wd/manual loyales to keep running for a long time to come.:headbang:

I've noticed that by the time the muffler looks like that, the mid-pipe is usually shot through with holes too. Damn rusty thin metal is real hard to weld too - I got the job done, but my welder doesn't like super thin metal like that, so it looks like a mess. Whatever - it's under the car anyway. I threw on some paint just to keep it from doing it again but really the rust is from the inside anyway.

For mufflers - you can find stainless steel stuff on ebay - buddy of mine put one on his Audi - pretty nice actually, and no worries about rust.

GD

thanks again!

I went with a 38 dollar walker part # 18153. 16 inch long and bigger that the ridiculouis 1.75 inch guts of original OEM. The clerk let me rummage through the walker book. It has 2 inch in and out and passed my finger tapping ear test for the same spot that blew out on original (on sube # 2 same summer problem). So I will have it welded in, and go back to a exhaust tip vs tailpipe. I bet I get pulled over before the baby ear killers on a harley before the shop opens again on wednesday....My elderly neighbor is clinically deaf and said "Your car is loud!"-- definately time to fix.:-\ thanks again for parts reference, I did find it for 47 bucks with the tiny tailpipe of oem dimensions at napa with the 2 bolt flange welded and angled , ready to go. It is ashame I can't use it.

This is the new muffler, the outlet is 2 inch. Where should the hole be (arrow)?

The little hole is meant to drain water from the muffler. Probably only matters if you make short trips that don't get the muffler hot enough to boil it off.

to bring closier to this thread:

the new walker muffler 18153 part # fit better than oem and has 2 inch in and out fixing the way too restrictive OEM original. The tailpipe is a straight shot for the curve built into the body, it even looks better than oem. I haven't noticed any power decrease either, and after full warm wasn't nearly as "on fire" as oem. :) this is pic before hanger welded

walkermuffler24fr.jpg