Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rims painted and complete (sorry 56k's)

TheSubaruJunkie

So spent the weekend prepping my rims. My tires should be here next week (if tirerack hurrys up) and I wanna make sure the rims are ready for mounting.

Took the rims and cleaned them up. Used foaming engine degreaser and a scrub pad.

DSC00873.sized.jpg

After all 4 were clean, I put about 2 good coats of primer ontop of them. Hope thats enough...

DSC00874.sized.jpg

Let the primer dry, and went at it with the gloss black. I put 3 coats of black on, trying to only get it on the center of the rim.

DSC00875.sized.jpg

I left the black on all night, figured it would dry overnight and be ready for masking this morning. So woke up, went out... and started masking all the rims. I just layed masking tape over the rim strip by strip, making sure the edge was good and secure... then ran a razor blade over the crease in the rim, and pealed the excess off.

DSC00877.sized.jpg

I was able to find the Candyapply red, Duplicolor T-208 that MikeW suggested, and went ahead and applied coat after coat until you could no longer see primer or any black overspray. I think i got 4 or 5 coats of red on there.

DSC00878.sized.jpg

After the red went on, and proceeded to remove the masking tape. I guess overnight wasnt long enough, cause the masking tape completely ruined the finish on the gloss black :( You can see lines were the tape was layed, and now im not sure what im gonna do to repair that.

DSC00880.sized.jpg

ARGHHH!! But oh well, still looks alot better than they did before. I put a heavy coat of clear on top of them. I think i'll put another coat or two of clear on them before they are completly finished.

IM sure once they have some MT's mounted to them, and on the hatch... they will be covered with mud and no one will notice the bad finish on the black.

-Brian

Yeah, that black portion looks pretty bad. You've got some time, just let the red dry a few days and then sand the black smooth again. Gently tape over the red, and shoot another coat of black, that ought to do it. Don't know what the clear is for, but I'm not a paint expert;).

Interesting combo, I'm looking forward to seeing them in person soon.

Ive been applying coats of clear over the red/black to help it cure and keep it from chipping in the future. Should also help keep the paint from fading as well.

Im on my 6th coat of clear, and the rims are looking 200x better. I'll have some new pix sooner or later.

-Brian

Just a sugestion for "next time", and I know it's really more money, etc.... but I think it would have been cool to have them powder coated black, and then spray the red over the top. Couple places around here that will do rims for like $20 each.

But I do like the color scheme - reminds me of the 60's tires. Awesome color choice for your hatch.

GD

Uhm... Pix show blue tape... so, yeah... i used blue masking tape.

Rick, $20 a tire for powdercoating... or $6 a can for the paint? I'll save $50-$60 and do it myself. I dont have alot of money for this project, already overpaid for the rims. I think this job will do just as good. Maybe if it was a restored classic i'd drop $80 for powdercoating, but i'll be happy with this.

I went and checked the rims after leaving them sit all night. And like i said, they look a thousand times better. Took a couple shots, you can definatly see a difference :)

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00882.sized.jpg

-Brian

Hey Brian,

They look good.

Maybe pop them in the oven at 250-300 for an hour each. Like it's not hot enough up there now, that you need to run the oven all day, lol. Hopefully, It won't bubble the paint, then it'll be almost as good as powdercoat. :)

Got your PMs - Thank you a ton!!!

r/ PK

I gotta say it.

Originally Posted by Jibs

Why is this in the offroad forum

avatar4_5.gifTheSubaruJunkie user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_451112", true);

http://www.subaru4wd.net

charter_member_1998.gifusmb_donor.gif

City: Sacramento

State: California

Vehicles: '87 RX Modified, '84 GL Lifted

reputation_pos.gif

Re: 17s won't fit eh? :eyebrow

I have to agree with Jibs. This belongs in the new gen forum. No mud, no flex, no lugs on those tires.

You guys were ready to ban me when I showed a couple of pics of my car with its 17s, so where's your mud that would make this an off road topic? ;)

But while we're on the subject, you are gonna want to paint the outter rings better, they will show up after you put on your tires.

Looks good junkie. Personally I like the personal touch you have done over just getting them coated white, or black. I painted my rims white with spray. I didn't clear coat and the paint got heaps of chips in it. Hopefully you have better luck.. That Candy Apple colors are nice huh? I am guessing it looks better in the real then in the pics?

Can't wait to see the M/T's on 'em and all muddy :) I love mud

Your right zap... doesnt really belong in O/R other than the fact that it will be mounted to my wheeler. I posted here, cause all my other rim discussion is in this forum, and figured people who were following my previous progress would see it alittle easier in here.

Not sure i follow on the outer rings?? :confused:

-Brian

Your right zap... doesnt really belong in O/R other than the fact that it will be mounted to my wheeler. I posted here, cause all my other rim discussion is in this forum, and figured people who were following my previous progress would see it alittle easier in here.

Not sure i follow on the outer rings?? :confused:

-Brian

Now you see my reason. . . :burnout:

Look at the white part showing up on the outside of the red. That will show up , I know cuz I neglected to paint that part once.

DSC00882.sized.jpg

Zap, that white showing around the edge is light messing with the camera. There is no white showing, nor any grey primer. Its completly painted over with 3 or 4 coats of red. The clear coat wasnt completly dried, and the way the spray was.... it caught the light and makes it look like there is white showing.

If worse comes to worse, i'll goto kragen and get some 14" beauty rings to hide it :)

-Brian

I gotta say it.

You guys were ready to ban me when I showed a couple of pics of my car with its 17s, so where's your mud that would make this an off road topic? ;)

But while we're on the subject, you are gonna want to paint the outter rings better, they will show up after you put on your tires.

So move it. I would have but I'm no moderator. Us your super powers and get it done.:)

Zap, that white showing around the edge is light messing with the camera. There is no white showing, nor any grey primer. Its completly painted over with 3 or 4 coats of red. The clear coat wasnt completly dried, and the way the spray was.... it caught the light and makes it look like there is white showing.

If worse comes to worse, i'll goto kragen and get some 14" beauty rings to hide it :)

-Brian

im pretty sure that Zapar isnt talking about the white colored "overspray" around the FACE of the rim. i would have to say that hes probably talking about the very, very, ..... very, VERY edge of the rim. the outermost portion that you chip on rocks and that the tire machine rides on - if you have ever watched them mount your tires at Les Slob. hes right, get that sprayed, youll see it if you dont. :banghead:

oh, and DO NOT get - cough GAY cough - "beauty" rings on your hatch to go in the mud with. :mad: if youre considering anything with the term "beauty" in it for your mudder then you might want to consider the honda board next door seeing how they seem to be pretty keen on that shiny stuff.

oh, yeah. and im also pretty sure that if you do put beauty rings on your rig, the USMB gremlins will come burn it down. :banana::lol::banana: :banana: