Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotors & Pads? ACDelco, Wagner, advice?

so going to do the rear disk brake setup in my wagon and am trying to figure out what rotors and pads i should go with, will probably be either the ACDelco or Wagner brands because thats what I can get through my shops account with Oreilly. So what does everyone reccomend? Which rotors? Which pads/what type? Semi-metallic, non asbestos organic, etc...? Someone should do an official collection of reviews on this subject if they havn't, and if they have, where is it? THANKS AS ALWAYS :clap:

Well here in NZ ive used Ferrodo pads on my Honda and im fairly sure Waimaks has used them in his vortex. They are CRAP! But for $40 a set i dont expect miracles. Not even sure if you have that brand in the usa but its somethng to avoid. :-\

so going to do the rear disk brake setup in my wagon and am trying to figure out what rotors and pads i should go with, will probably be either the ACDelco or Wagner brands because thats what I can get through my shops account with Oreilly. So what does everyone reccomend? Which rotors? Which pads/what type? Semi-metallic, non asbestos organic, etc...? Someone should do an official collection of reviews on this subject if they havn't, and if they have, where is it? THANKS AS ALWAYS :clap:

not sure on brands, but definately go for semi-metalic, you will HATE yourself for buying organic brake pads the first long steep descent you have to go on... I'm light on the brakes and I use the engine to slow down as much as possible without excessively wearing on my clutch, and I'm also fairly used to semi metal pads and then I went to organic on my new subaru... they fade like no other REALLY fast, start becoming useless for any braking longer than bout 5 seconds or so...

Being these are in the rear, and only do about 30% of the braking duties, I doubt you will see any real improvement by using expensive pads and rotors. The stock proportioning valve is going to limit the line pressure back there anyway.... just get some decent semi-metallic pads and be done with it. Accept the rear discs for what they are - small, and an excelent self-adjusting replacement to the mostly crappy rear drums our cars usually were equipped with.

GD