Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheap and dirty sump guard for early Impreza

I finally bought the real thing from Primitve Racing in Tigard, OR (www.get-primitive.com) to protect the underside of my 1994 Impreza. However, before I got that, I modified the sump guard from an EA82 wagon to fit on my Impreza. Drill two clearance holes for an 8mm metric bolt 1-3/16" back from the front lip and approximately 3/4" from either edge (approximate is just that, what's important is that the two new holes are exactly 13" apart). I took the two bolts at the rear and turned them around and bolted them in place pointing downward. Attach the modified sump guard at the rear with two 8mm nuts and at the front with two 8mm bolts. It doesn't do a thing to protect the exhaust pipes but will protect your oilpan moderately well. This might be useful to archive in the USRM.

SumpGuard.jpg

cool!

what thickness is the material of the ea82 plate, and have you had it survive any hard hits?

It's about 1/8" steel; I didn't have it on the Impreza when I thumped the oil pan pretty hard at the Brooklyn Rallycross; luckily no apparent damage although I will have to pull and replace the oil pan one of these days. I built this to get me through until I got a "real" skidplate installed. It's the one that came off an EA82 wagon and I have hit that occasionally when I owned my '86. This is not intended for a "real" sump guard, but it's better than not having anything there. I'm a little surprised that Subaru didn't install a stock version on the Legacy and Impreza like they did on the Loyale series.

• 3 years later...

indeed would love to see some photos of both engine underguard and rear diff protector.

I want to have both but shipping from US is a bit to expensive. Here they are hard to find and very expensive. So doing it myself is the only option then.

And where is the best place to mount them, which bolts to put where?

I know, I know, this thread is four years old. Has anyone else done this, and have some photos they'd like to share?

Good for you for searching. Many have done this. I have one for mine. Unfortunately, not many pics of the bottom of mine. Thankfully.