Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am now convinced that anything is possible with a Subaru!

I have had my 89 GL-10 a little over a year, and have put 25,000 miles on it in that time.....and I just discovered yesterday that the firing order was opposite from what it should be, and the disty was 180 degrees off!! And it ran all this time! I never checked it even though I had changed the plugs, wires, and swapped out the disty! I just copied what was there since it ran smooth. I never questioned it.

It now runs cooler, and of course, has more power!:banana:

All this after spending 8 hours in the 95 degree heat replacing the intake gaskets, turbo gaskets (thanks Gary), mildly porting the turbo, soldering the wire directly to the knock sensor (didn't help) , replacing the connector to the coolant temp sensor, adjusting the TPS correctly, replacing the fuel filter, replacing the turbo oil return hose, tightening the bolts on the oil pan, and adding a few more ground wires. IT DRIVES LIKE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR !!

There is nothing wrong with that - as long as it ran, the firing order in the book just shows one of 4 possible orentations of the wires on the cap. You just have to stab the disty into the block with the timing marks lined up, and the rotor pointing at one of the wire electrodes - as long as you run the fireing order off that wire, it doesn't matter which tower you start with. Does that make sense?

Unlike a lot of engines that have a spade drive for the disty (like off the cam), the gear drive of the EA series engines allows for four possible correct orientations.

I would attribute your smoother running and more power to all the other things you fixed/changed while in there.

GD

I've had 2 GL10 wagons and I loved the way they drove.

If you really want to see a totally different car, chop out the bottom of the air filter box. Leave enough of a lip on the bottom to hold in the air filter.

This bypasses the silencer in the fender, which also greatly restricts flow.

It also decreases your gas mileage a little and increases the likelihood of getting pulled over.

I have done the airbox mod some time ago. I have a cone K&N to put o there someday.

I bought the car for $150 off of ebay. i emailed the guy and asked what he HAD to have for it, and $150 was paypal'ed to him! All in all it's a good car, just wasn't taken care of as well as it needed to be. Buy the time i get it all right, I'll sell it!

On my 85 Gl-10's old engine I had the timing tension pulley shatter and drive for a month with the weirdest noise untill the damn thing chewed through the timing cover and fell right out. Never effected the performance.

I had met someone who used to do that on purpose to change orientation of cylinders smacking the old bearings to go easily over 220k miles. Of course it didn't fix the other probs, but I really can't disagree with his point made... :-\

Thanks guys, it's too bad I am not the driver of this car! My girlfriend gets to drive it all week, but I get to blast it around at least once every weekend! But that's usually a test drive after working on it for a few hours.....

It was loosing about 2 quarts of coolant every week, but now nothing!! Intake gaskets were mush.

No oil spraying the catalytic converter and smoking out the kids either!

Next weekend it gets a BOV and a hotter coil that's been waiting....