Ultimate Subaru Message Board

keeping the distributer dry: thoughts and observations

Numbchux

this last weekend at the crawl 4 the cure (see the thread "Support a great cause!" for the aftermath there), I was playing in some pretty deep...pretty nasty mud/water. and got my distributer wet. well, I remembered seeing on a can of PB blaster that you could spray it in a disty to get a wet motor to start. so when my car started coughing from the water, I got my can of WD40 (didn't have any PB with me) and looked, and it said it would clean electrical contacts. so I went to pull the distributer cap to spray it in there, when I realized, there's a little vent on the top of the cap, with a rubber cap over it. I pulled the cap off, and the hole is just a bit bigger than the WD40 straw. so I sprayed some in there with the engine running, and it helped a ton!!

sooo, I got to thinking, there are little vents at the base of the distributer too, if you sealed off the gasket between the cap and the base of the distributer, hooked a little vacuum hose to the vent on the top of the cap, and hooked it to a little pump of some sort in the cab, it would keep virtually all the water out, but the circulation would prevent condensation from becoming a problem aswell...

what do y'all think? any ideas on what to use to force some air down that little hole?

I've heard that there's a rubber distributor boot from a toyota 22re (I think) that fits perfectly over the soob boot with only needing to cut a hole for the vent. Thesubarujunkie; who told me this has a small piece of hose attached to the vent as well, with a fuel filter on the end of it, with some of the top cut out. It seems to work well.

you would not want to route it in the cabin.there are certain chemical emmissions that happen from the rotation of the rotor that could be detrimental to your health and probably your interior too.now if your idea was to pressurize your cabin i would say go for it:grin:

this last weekend at the crawl 4 the cure (see the thread "Support a great cause!" for the aftermath there), I was playing in some pretty deep...pretty nasty mud/water. and got my distributer wet. well, I remembered seeing on a can of PB blaster that you could spray it in a disty to get a wet motor to start. so when my car started coughing from the water, I got my can of WD40 (didn't have any PB with me) and looked, and it said it would clean electrical contacts. so I went to pull the distributer cap to spray it in there, when I realized, there's a little vent on the top of the cap, with a rubber cap over it. I pulled the cap off, and the hole is just a bit bigger than the WD40 straw. so I sprayed some in there with the engine running, and it helped a ton!!

sooo, I got to thinking, there are little vents at the base of the distributer too, if you sealed off the gasket between the cap and the base of the distributer, hooked a little vacuum hose to the vent on the top of the cap, and hooked it to a little pump of some sort in the cab, it would keep virtually all the water out, but the circulation would prevent condensation from becoming a problem aswell...

what do y'all think? any ideas on what to use to force some air down that little hole?

I'd like to say I thought of it, but my neighbor told me. Send that vaccuum hose up to the air intake, just out side the air filter somewhere. Your engine will breath in and suck what little water or condensation that gets into your disty right into your air filter. The amount of water isn't enough to cause problems. Done.

but I want the air flowing through the hose INTO the distributer. if you just hook it up to your intake, when the disty is under water, it'll just suck it up.

if it worked, the fumes from inside the cap would be pushed out the bottom of the distributer.

yea, I remember the rubber glove trick, or the toyota distributer protector, but both seal it off completely. I was just thinking some force air flow would be much more effective...