Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alaskan Brat Wont Run

I have an 85 Brat with a new coil,plugs,wires,cap&rotor,battery,alternator,and fuel pump...I just recently re-built the carb for the first time ever and thought i did a decent job. However, when I try to start it, it turns right over, but the engine wobbles a lot and it will only stay running with my foot down at least half-way on the pedal... Could this be my carb or perhaps even my distributor? please help

• Like 1

Was the brat ever a beach rig?I know from experience that alot of sand can get in the fuel tank.Myself and 3 other people I knew when I lived in Alaska had similar problems and frequently had to change fuel filters.Although I think some of your problem lies in the carb as others have said.Not too many brats left up in the AK.

John - I'll check at the shop tommorow and see if any of Jims EA81 cars have them still on the engine. We got a new one in the other day.

One thing I would like to add for subaruthless, the car has been having those problems before the carb rebuild. It happened last winter, we switched the carb and disty (thanks to northguy). It ran good for a few months and then started doing it again

Thanx for the posts, all the connections are where they should be, and as far as the vacuum leaks, could be, I capped a bunch off a while ago. I'm afraid the problem is in the carb; anybody got one for sale?

If Torxxx can't come up with one, I've got one sitting on my cadaver motor. You know the price.