Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL hatchback questions

posted this on nasioc in old school, but only got one response.

The over heating problem is cured!!! just replaced the thermostat.

Just picked me up the best daily i could ask for! and it was only 200 bucks banana.gif

it is in great shape, fenders have some dings (so if you know of any please let me know) and the muffler needs replacing. other than that it is a solid machine.

Now here are the issues... and i have no idea on how to fix them or where to start so any help would be appretiated!!!!

Speedo and odometer and oil pressure dont work, tach works, as well as all the other gauges. I attempted to take off the the instrument cluster, took out all the screws and the thing just would not come off. what am i missing???

seems to run kinda hot. on the temp gauge, it hangs out above the middle to a little below the overheat line. any ideas?

When driving on the hi way it throws a cel, when i turn the car off for 10-15 minutes it goes away.... any ideas?

otherwise im super exited to have this car in addition to the wrx, as its just as much fun to drive in its own special way smile.gif

Temp sounds about normal - depending on the guage, some will read higher than others. Best to test with an aftermarket guage. As long as the radiator fan kicks on, and then back off when idleing stopped, it should be fine. Mine hangs about 3/4 on the guage and that's with a new radiator, all new cooling system parts, and new head gaskets... that's just how the guage is. Basically if the guage climbs and stops at a specific point and NEVER climbs higher, you're ok.

The speedo and odometer are the same guage, and the cable is likely broken.

The oil pressure could be the sending unit, or the wire going to the sending unit - check them both. They are on the oil pump on the front of the engine.

GD

As for the check engine light if this is an EA81 then pull the panel under the stearing wheel when the check light is on and look at the computer. There is a red LED on the side of the computer that will flash. It should be a series of slow flashes then fast ones. So 2 slow flashes and 4 fast ones means that its code 24. figure out what code its throwing and then report back. I have a manual that will tell what codes are what and if i dont get back on in awhile someone else on this site will be able to tell you what the code means. Good luck.