Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got DIBS on this one!

From criagslist: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/180601881.html

I'd hope it's a timing belt or some such thing. I sent the guy a PM, so we'll see how he responds. I think I can see a 5spd in there. I've been wanting to trade up the sedan for a wagon, and this could be the right price!

Picutre this: White 92 Loyale sedan towing Blue 92 Wagon down highway 36. Just Kidding, although I wonder....

Hah, I e-mailed them last night about it. I was curious, mostly cuz I'm helping a girl look for a car.

HI,

the check engine light came on and it was making a clicking noise. It does crank over when you try to start it, it sounds like it will start but it doesnt.

That was their reply.

Cool! I sent them an e-mail back about it. I'm thinking about going some night this week, anyone want to come with? I gotta get a checklist going of things to look at when you can't drive a car. I figure a car that won't start that's offered for $500 obo is worth about $3 - $350. :grin:

Lost out on both of these. Craigslists really knows how to move em'. The wagon is "promised" and the 87 GL wasn't listed by the time I got home. Oh well, maybe this is the subaru gods telling me to keep the sedan on the road. There needs to be a balence of 1 sedan for every 187 wagons or so. :grin:

The same person with the $500 wagon e-mailed me back. She relisted it on craigslist because the person she promised it to didn't show. Maybe it's me but the e-mails seem kind of desperate, so I think I'll make the trek up to Louisville to check it out.

So it acts like it will start, but wont. Hmm, spark, fuel, & compression, there's a lot of could be's there.

So if you were going to check out a car that wouldn't start, what would you check?

CVs, Tires, brake pads, belt / hose condition, rust....any tips to check transmission condition?

So if you were going to check out a car that wouldn't start, what would you check?

First, pop the distributor cap and watch the rotor when you crank it. If the rotor doesn't turn, it is probably the timing belt on that side, or the screw fell out of the rotor. I've driven myself half insane before trying to figure out what was wrong and it turned out it was that #%$@# screw.