Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok..now I am worried..HG...is an 05 at risk?

probably a good idea, the 3.0 is still a baby and not much track record. probably be a fantastic engine, but i'd rather not be the one to find out either way. the 2.5 is great.

3.0 is showing a timing chain tensioner issue, though i havent heard of any of late. Maybe sooby made a design change.

nipper

I'm not pleased with Subaru putting a timing chain on the EZ30. I would much rather have a belt.

Anyway, they should have the HG issues resolved by now. I haven't heard of any problems with the newer 2.5's.

the timing chain allows them to put the 3.0 in the same space as a 2.5 without doing any massive redesugn of the car.

nipper

I can tell you the 3.0 is bullet proof. I have seen many come through the doors with over 100k and no problems (not even oil leaks!!) The cam tensioner is a problem confined to only the very earliest production of the sixes. There should be no problem with a new 05'

Wait so could a 3.0 fit in a legacy or a forest? A H6 would be much nicer and yes u are all prob thinking the fuel milage would be crap, but i doubt it, because the engine doesnt need much effort to go compared to the 2.5.

SUbarus are mechanical leggos, i dont see why not. I would ned to see the manuals and wiring diagram, but it should work

Well it would mount up physicly but the wiring would be a pain in the rump roast, and if you went with a 250HP one which comes with vastley better heads. You would run into one huge wiring because of the key immobiliser, ive heard its such a *************** to mess with its easier to go full standalone engine management. Iam not telling you not to do it, iam just saying its not going to be nearly as easy as pretty much any other subie swap.