Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Overhaulin" the Beefaru

EDIT: All photos & info compiled for easy reference

For those that haven't caught this info, the ole faithful Beefaru is getting a refresh after 10 years of great service. Turns out my friend was between (nicer than subaru) jobs at his custom home shop. Even luckier, he'll let me (zero experience) work in the shop with him so I can save a lot of money racking up my own hours on the time consuming easy stuff.

photo album of day one. Stripping car down, basic body work on new metal

Day 2 Prep & basic body work on new metal, put metal on wagon, clean wagon.

Day 3 Beginning body work and hood work

Day 4 Advanced body work, replace rusted metal, cool vette & previous projects

Day 5 Mask for primer, another nice vette

Day 6 Primer entire wagon, blocking, rock guard, mask 4 silver, paint silver!

Day 7 Silver photos, road trip 4 old chevy

Day 8 Block top 1/2, sealer, BLUE paint! on top 1/2, mask lower 1/2

Day 9 Seal lower 1/2, blue paint, silver/blue revealed, awsome truck/vette rig

Day 10 Hand sand 1000grit, wet sand 2000 &3000, buffing #1 & #2, start trim prep/assembly

Day 11 Final buffing of front of car, final paint detailing.

--E

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo album of day 2. Two days of working with all snap on air tools wrenches and sockets. Sure makes it go faster and easier.

"New" parts from junk yard installed and fitted today. Car was stripped down and blasted with air and high pressure car wash on inside of doors, quarters fenders and engine compartment in preparation for full exterior body prep.

Looks really nice.I noticed another car sitting next to it in one of the pics,what is it?
That's a one off MG my friend built for himself. A lot of custom body work to get a ford SHO engine & tranny into it. I haven't ridden in it, but its gotta be fast.

--E

MG with an SHO engine? holy.....crap....
Yes....and he's scared of the 58 Vette with the 502 racing engine (photos frm day 1)....that's saying something.I don't blame him. He screeched the tires just repositioning it in the garage.

BTW I live in Lakewood too. That's where the ovehaulin' is taking place.

Overhaulin' day three

Access to the server is down, but page should be up tonight or tomorrow.

Cleaned parts and trim while rough body leveling was happening. Picked out the paint today. We found a paint same color as stock so it'll look stock but with more "Fizazz" as my friend says. It should look very close to door jamb color in the shade, but will jump out with more depth and pearl in the sun. We're staying extremely close to stock color so the entire interior doesn't need to be cleaned and painted. The paint is a 2006 jaguar color.

Taking the weekend off. He'll do more rough leveling and we'll attack it with sandpaper on monday for fine leveling. I'll be heading to the yards for a final push on trim exterior upgrades.

--E

....Also I have to say I love where you mounted that yellow top optima.
Thanks Jerry, things are moving fast. Too busy to put up the pix and story today, but it's primed and ready for blocking (sand before final color).

The optimus was set up before I went to Hurricane Katrina to run a heavy duty car fridge and laptop/gps office thing. The guy who maintains the car put it together. Cool idea to weld a quick bracket and use the spare tire bolt to bolt it down. Works great & makes life using the fridge/mobile office worry free...never have to think about juice running short. I'll find a link for that fridge....its awesome.

I'll get up today and tomorrow's pix maybe tomorrow if I get a chance. --E

Overhaulin' day four.

A lot of sanding tight places that the rotary sander cant get to. Hand to bandage up the fingers...... sand sand sand. Not much exciting to look at there, so I threw in some extra pictures of previous projects my friend has done. Plus the Vette owner picked up his car so I took a couple more pix. That thing redlines at 7200 and is detuned DOWN from 620 horse to around 550...in a 2700lb car....spooky.

I can uderstand the bandages on the fingers!I am glad you are taking the time to do a good job on the block sanding cause your hard efforts will surely pay off!:clap: And that vette is just sickening to look at!That is my favorite style vette and the 502 is my favorite BB.Gotta love the sound of one of those engines with a lumpy cam.:brow:

Also what is the final color going to be?

what is the final color going to be?
Blue on top and silver on the bottom.

2006 Jaguar color for the blue (same as original color but with more depth and pearl reflections) and 2006 subaru for the silver. Its called crystal grey metallic . That part was painted yesterday. The silver pearl REALLY jumps out in the sun.

Overhaulin' Day 5

I'm a couple days behind for photo albums. Today (day 8) was VERY cool. The wagon has silver and the new blue/indigo on it. They look sweet together. I'll combine days 6&7 into an album. ON days 6-7 the wagon was blocked, then sealed, then he pulled out a spray gun for rock guard for the lower 1/2 of the sides, then actual COLOR was sprayed over the rock guard. Silver went on on day 6.

Day 5 was lots of masking in preparation for putting primer on the car. After primer is applied the car can be "blocked" and ready for sealer and final color & clear coat.

We broke in the middle of the day to pick up a flat bed trailer from another body shop for a 26 chevy my friend wanted to turn into "yard art". At the shop they had an SS Nova in there getting this incredible 2-tone pearl/candy paint and over a half dozen vintage Camaros in various stages of being prepped for body work. Couldn't get photos of that stuff, but day 5 is up for viewing.

---E

Nope. That was a tough decision. In the end I thought it fit the body lines better than going under trim and over the wheels....there's no continuous line doing that on the car like there is on the plastic outback body fender molds.

edit: here's a shot showing what I'm talking about.

06_rearquarter.jpg

Going over the trim AND over the wheels was going to be a lot harder logistically. This was the easiest, and the silver is so chrome in the daylight, I was a little spooked that going over the rim would give it that mexican chrome over the wheel look.....not my style. Still a hard decision, but it should come out really clean and tasty.

I'll know for sure because painting will be complete tomorrow. --E

..the fender and above the trim would have looked 10,000x better in my opinion.-Brian
I think it would've been really cool to go over fenders. I think it's easier to change to that than to undo it. You just sand each fender/quarter and mask/paint for that small section of paint. Logistically, paint above the trim couldn't be done in this paint booth. The ceiling is too low. Long story short, he can't paint the whole car at once from top to bottom. To pain the top, we drop the car onto the floor (without wheels) then to paint doors, the front & back have to be jacked up. That's why the wagon's getting painted in sections. --E

Overhaulin photos: day 8

Finally painted blue color onto the wagon and was able at last to see the colors together. The new blue is pretty amazing. Hard to describe. Day 9 has a good shot of it. All the gritty details of the prep & techniques are in the photo album.

After sealer, color and clear coats, we took off to the viewing of an estate sale. Biggest estate auction I've ever seen: The guy (recently deceased) had an acre just of cars, vans boats and car trailers. Then there were two more acres of his stuff laid out on tables....crazy.

I liked the $150 truck dragster, 37 roadster hot rod and a 1930 tbucket roadster. Hard to believe it was all being auctioned off. Anyway gang, need to run. Day 9 was really cool too. Great pictures of the paint color on that day. Will post asap. ---E