Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine temps and fans.

So we have two cars.

First is a 86 turbo wagon with a high comp block... NO crank fan, and the electric is on a switch... Noss claims to not have to turn the fan on much.

Second is my 88 Rx. Stock, intercooled, hoodscoop'd... with the crank fan it ran about 1/4-1/2 on the temp. ditched the crank fan and am running the electric on ALL THE TIME and it gets up to about 1/2-3/4.

Thoughts? Is my car odd, or is Noss's car special? Any other fan solutions?

100_0627.jpg

Run the slim EA81 Electric Fan in place of the mechanical fan...will help a ton. I run one in place of my mechanical fan, and one on my intercooler for long boosts. Make sure you have an awesome radiator, and always could be just the difference in the way the gauges are reading. We all know the Roo gauges are incredibly accurate :rolleyes:

phil - your fan needs to be yellow.

if it went up that much because of the fan change i'd look into that a bit more. maybe you need two fans? how big is the new e-fan? is it pulling air the right way?

runs highest at idle or on highway? with or without a/c running?

with the elec. fan you should run cooler. make sure the fan is blowing the right direction and if its not, change it. if you still are having problems, grab another fan and get it in there. but i would start with a radiator flush first.

~Josh~

Run the slim EA81 Electric Fan in place of the mechanical fan...will help a ton.

Whats it out of? Pics? The issue I have is I changed the fluid, but it still does the same, and remember it ran great with the mech fan... I just think I need a extra or different fan.....

I'm running the stock ele fan on the pass side, running all the time via jumpered relay. Sounds like its going strong, but its just not enough.:-\

you took off the stock clutch fan, from the water pump, and replaced it with nothing? you just have the other fan running all the time? because no, thats not enough. get another fan, take someone else's advice (i havent put an electric fan on my car, so i know nothing) and put a good one on, and you will be fine. the other fan was running most of the time anyways, helping the fan you removed get your engine down to good temperatures. that fan is there as a supplemental to run while the AC system is on, placing a higher load on the engine and requiring additional cooling... that supplemental does not suffice as a primary.

while on the subject, where is the best place to take a wire from to switch an electric fan? im thinking of installing one, and i would use a relay, but need a thermostatic signal for when to turn it on... im just tired of the noise and want to milk the performance out of my pizza deliverin' machine... :- )

Whats it out of? Pics? The issue I have is I changed the fluid, but it still does the same, and remember it ran great with the mech fan... I just think I need a extra or different fan.....

I'm running the stock ele fan on the pass side, running all the time via jumpered relay. Sounds like its going strong, but its just not enough.:-\

There are off of pretty much any EA81 (maybe they had to have A/C) but these are the ones they ran instead of a crank fan, very very skinny like 1.5" at max. Mounts pretty much right to the EA82 Radiators but is small enough to clear the waterpump pulley. I left the EA82 A/C fan hooked to it's thermoswitch, EA81's are both hooked to relays/switches, I run EA81 one on my radiator almost all the time, the EA82 kicks on with A/C or when it hits a certain temp like normal. They work awesome, make sure your A/C condensor is in good shape too if you haven't removed it. I'm sure you will prob build your RX up well over mine (since I built mine for reliability/daily driving), so might want to look into some newer better slim line fans that can pull some serious CFM's. I also have mine oil cooled which helps a ton also, but that is in front of A/C condensor blocking even more air from getting to the radiator. On these recent 100+ degree days I can get the RX up to almost 3/4 on the highway while boosting then the A/C fan will kick in and bring back down to under 1/2. Normal running on mine is 1/3rd to a 1/2 up the gauge unless it's super hot out. Not great pics but maybe they will help:

fans.jpg

The slightly larger EA81 fan I run on my intercooler:

fans2.jpg

Better shot of the clearance between water pump and electric EA81 Fan:

fans3.jpg

What he said^^

Also let me clarify... its not that the car is over heating, like OVER heating, it just gets damn hot. on these hot days it will approach the line, but usually stays within an 1/8 of it... I just used to have it run with thhe crank fan at about 1/4 and it made the tranny tunnel stay cool, which makes me stay cool... I'll have to look for that fan... Hey.. so we have the same intercooler it looks like... how did you mount that fan to your IC? Its just on a switch I assume?

My IC is off an MR2, and originally came with a fan attached to it (which died). If I remember correctly I just did some bending the fan bolt down tabs on the IC and bolted the EA81 fan right to it. And yes it's on a relay attached to a switch, I only run the IC fan when boosting hard (well as hard as stock boost goes) or too help cool the engine bay a bit while driving in stop and go traffic, also dubs as a hot air blower out the bottom of the engine bay. Still gotta hook-up my IC sprayer but running out of room in my engine bay.

• 5 years later...

hello my name is chad and i just seen the images on google. maybe you can help me on a problem i have reguarding bracketlocations and alt?ac compressor holes not being made in the block from the factory. trying to find some photos to see were the 81 engine layout looks like compared to the ea82 that ive removed. any tips or advice?