Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stiff clutch pedal

Well as some of you may know I'm working on getting a recently purchased '92 Loyale roadworthy. So far I've got the automatic seatbelts operating again, freed up the rear wiper motor, and I just need to weld the flanges back onto my headpipe, (had to turn one 90 degrees to get a new thread). About all I have left is to figure out is what is causing the clutch pedal to be so stiff. I know my other '92 pushes down pretty easy but, this one takes quite a bit to get it down. The previous owner told me that he'd had the clutch replaced and it has been that way ever since. I figure while the headpipe is off and I do have a couple of ripped cv shaft boots, it would be a good time to take the tranny out and see what is happening in there. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on this kind of a problem? Thanx, Toni.

Usually clutch cables get stiff when they need replacing. I think they start fraying slowly inside and dragging on the cable sleeve, causing extra resistance.

Try replacing the cable (with an OEM one, I've read some horror stories on this board about aftermarket cables) and see what happens.

Well okay, I guess its unanimous, the clutch cable will have to come out. If that is indeed the problem, then it will be an easy fix.I did look at the routing of the cable and it set up just like my other Loyale, so I'll assume that its okay there..........I'll hold off on putting the headpipe back on until I get a new cable put in, just in case that doesn't take care of it. Thanx for the input guys. Toni.

O.K., I took the old cable out of my parts car, a '88 GL wagon , before I did I made sure it was easy to pedal down, and put it into my problem car and it seemed to do the trick! Its weird because the cable moves freely in its covering just as the other one did that I took out but, it pedals down a heck of a lot easier.......Thanks again for heading me in the right direction! Toni.