Ultimate Subaru Message Board

there is no turbo "kit" that will bolt right onto your car

***without heavy modification***

(engine/tubo, radiator, crossmember, sway bars, ecu, wiring and more....)

There are turbo "kits" per se,

but bolt them on without swapping the block/engine

and you will literally melt the heads.

if you want a turbo, best way to get one is to buy the car that comes with it - and buy the full warranty along with it.

but if that's not in the cards,

you can do a full engine swap.

But it's got to be all or nada if you want the car reliable.

Mind you, do something like this and your warranty is void

as well as your car insurance unless you inform your agent of your modifications.

good luck

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

I agree with Jamie here, but I'm curious, did you buy your car new? If so, why didn't you buy a WRX or a STi? It seems like you have money to buy a kit, and with all the extra work (and money) it would take to install such a kit, the additional cost of a WRX and maybe a STi would be a bargain, plus you would have a factory warrantee, if you add the turbo to your 2006, you will void the factory warrantee.

The reason I didn't buy the WRX or STI is because the insurance would be way to high.. With the warranty, that won't be a problem.. the dealership I work for owns a subaru dealership and the service manager is a real good friend of mine.. But thanks for your oppinions.. take it easy..

The reason I didn't buy the WRX or STI is because the insurance would be way to high.. With the warranty, that won't be a problem.. the dealership I work for owns a subaru dealership and the service manager is a real good friend of mine.. But thanks for your oppinions.. take it easy..
Sounds like fraud to me.

Sounds like fraud to me.

+1.

If you bolt a turbo onto your 2.5i, blow the engine, and try to get it covered under warranty, Subaru will ask for the old engine back, and they will tear it down to determine the cause of failure. They will be able to tell what you did to it, and then likely deny your claim and make you pay for the new engine, and that is entirely out of your service advisor's hands, no matter how well you know him or her.

If you want boost, trade your 2.5i in for a WRX, get ready to pay for a little extra insurance, and have fun the proper and honest way.

Hmm. But what would it take to really put a turbo in? Do i need a new tranny, diffs, etc. better radiator, new piston and everything? Or can i just change the crank and a few things on the engine, and everything should be alrright? BEcause it would be fun on my 93 leg. But i remember a legacy in 1990's with a 2.0 and has lie 200hp? DId like 0-60 in 6.9 secs and i saw the dash said 7000rpms before redline. If i i get that engine can i just bolt it up, and get a new radiator and work? Wait here it is. http://www.legacycentral.org/articles/forgotten/forgotten_2.htm would this 2.0 work in a 93 legacy wagon? and were these engines good?

Hmm. But what would it take to really put a turbo in? Do i need a new tranny, diffs, etc. better radiator, new piston and everything? Or can i just change the crank and a few things on the engine, and everything should be alrright? BEcause it would be fun on my 93 leg. But i remember a legacy in 1990's with a 2.0 and has lie 200hp? DId like 0-60 in 6.9 secs and i saw the dash said 7000rpms before redline. If i i get that engine can i just bolt it up, and get a new radiator and work? Wait here it is. http://www.legacycentral.org/articles/forgotten/forgotten_2.htm would this 2.0 work in a 93 legacy wagon? and were these engines good?
Yes it will fit in your car, yes it will bolt right in. You will probably need a different radiator. You can get the engine and tranny as a unit, but you didn't say what type of tranny you have. Most of these came with an automatic, finding a manual is rare. Since you are on the east coast, shipping might be cheaper for you, but here is a go place to start looking, http://www.jhotimports.com/ .

Cool thanks and its a automatic. Can my transmission handle the power, and the rest of my drive train. The only i would add would be the stablizer bars that go from the top of the strut to the other strut.
Most of the ones from JHOT come with trannies, so there would be no use in using yours, but for the record, I don't think yours would last long with that engine. Oh, and don't get the twin turbo unless you have a RHD car, it won't work in a LHD car without a LOT of work.

Ack, sorry, wasn't paying attention.

Eric, you could turbo the 2.2 you have now. If you IC it and do the proper fuel setup, you could probably run around 10psi safely. I wouldn't go any higher than that, it is a 9.5:1 compression engine. But there's nothing wrong with the 2.2 nonturbo you have now.