Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5lug swap done.. legacy spring thoughts *pics* 56k beware

rllywgn

so i did my 5 lug swap and used legacy front stuff.. the legacy springs were a cinch to install, but now that the car is back on the ground the front sits awful high..

anyone encountered this? any thoughts?

I still have air suspension on the back of the car and with it engaged it almost evens out.. kinda looks like its lifted..

perfect timing though.. two bad front cv's and needed new brake pads

rllywgn

I'll be able to post pic's tonight.. theres 4 or so inches of gap between the tire and the fender in the front and 1 inch in the rear

xt6 lower control arms and tie rod ends. 92 legacy hubs, knuckles, rotors, calipers and struts/springs. 02 WRX wheels and pirelli tires

rllywgn

so i did my 5 lug swap and used legacy front stuff.. the legacy springs were a cinch to install, but now that the car is back on the ground the front sits awful high..

anyone encountered this? any thoughts?

I still have air suspension on the back of the car and with it engaged it almost evens out.. kinda looks like its lifted..

perfect timing though.. two bad front cv's and needed new brake pads

rllywgn

I don't know which year Legacy springs you used, but the 90-94 are notorious for having that front end raised thing. It's not that you did anything wrong, it's just the way the car looks.

dscn2195editwm8.th.jpg

when i originally posted i was one wheel short of having the swap completed (snapped my 1/2" breaker bar.. really hulked out on it apparently) so the rear end of the car sat a lil lower then it should have..

well with all 4 wheels/tires on it now sits maybe a 1-2" higher in the front then the rear.. with height control its all good..

no pics until tuesday.. by the time i finished the last wheel tonight it was dark.. but heres a teaser i guess you could say..

PICT2987.jpg

WRX wheels look sweet.. so much better stance..

PICT2986.jpg

better pics tomorrow..

In case anyone is wondering.. heres the shopping list i used:

xt6 rotor and backing plate for the rear

xt6 front lower control arms, ball joints and tie rod ends

92 legacy:

struts

axles

spindles/hub/knuckles

caliper/rotor

No E-brake at the moment.. gonna play around with some various rear calipers and report back.. although i do plan on using a legacy or impreza E-brake handle and cables..

word

rllywgn

Those wheels look great.

If you want to lift the rear end a couple of inches to match the front (my preference), you can get some GL10 / RX rear shocks with the adjustable spring perches and kick the back up higher.

If you want to lower the front, you can cut the springs like Gary suggested, but would that affect the spring rates?

You could also look into different front struts. I don't know if you're running stock Legacy front struts or aftermarkets, but the 92 KYB GR2s have the spring perches welded an inch higher on the strut than the 90s.. I don't know if this is the case with the OEM struts. What I'm getting at is that you might try getting some slightly earlier struts and seeing if they let the front sit a little lower.

This also depends on how much clearance your tires have relative to the spring perches...

Also, if you are going to disassemble the front struts again anyway, you may be interested to know that WRX front springs' rates are nearly identical to those of an EA82 RX... :burnout:

for the front i was thinking of going the coilover route.. not a fan of cutting.. just my preference.

the rear hubs are xt6 also, I used the existing calipers for now until i can source something with a rear ebrake

Im also on the search for a cheap set of wrx struts.. we'll see how that goes..

PICT3001.jpg

this pic is with ride height enabled.. almost evens out.. trying to decide if i wanna keep the rear air shocks or go coilover.. giving it some rake on demand is neat..

rllywgn

Lookin hawt my friend! Welcome to the 5-lug group. I myself have also gone basically the same route as you did but my front end stuff was off of a '95 Imp wagon. Did you change out the tophats for the stock EA82 tophats? Now you can go ahead and do major upgrades to the brakes as far as aftermarket parts. Enjoy the various wheel combos you can use now!

i kept the legacy tophats.. widening the bolt holes took 30 seconds.. this is the second 5lug I've done.. but the first with something other then xt6 parts.. My old 5lug turbo wagon is somewhere in colorado now..

ebrake is my main concern.. would like to get something figured out for that in the next few weeks.. I know this has been a topic for many.. I hope to find something that works and is easy to install without a ton of fabrication.. we'll see..

Also have I heard that some Impreza's had 2 piston calipers.. anyone with more info?

rlllywgn

nice..I'd cut them lagacy springs..with a sawsall and metal blade..it'll stiffen up the front a bit but our cars can use that..and yes I'd swap the air in the rear to coils as well..

yes 2.5 rs has 2 piston and wrx has two and 4 piston(from '06 in usa or almost any sti and most wrx from 99 on in the rest of the world..) front..some legacies as well but got no idea what will and what won't bolt 2 that legacy hub..

xt6 hubs, rotors and backing plates. still using the factory air suspension in the back. should be picking up front and rear wrx struts in the next few weeks.. although the air ride has been helpful to keep the car looking level.. otherwise looks like the trunks overloaded

rllywgn