Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally out of the garage...

I got the rebuilt carb on this old beast and she's ALIVE!!! Bad news, the mice that were living in her made a nest in the exhaust (I think). It started smoking when she fired up, after 8 years!!!

Now I get to push her back in and take the exhaust off...

Here are some pics I uploaded to my server if you'd like to take a look!

http://www.childsinc.com/87_Brat/

:clap:

what are your plans for the little beast?:brow:

I am going to keep her as original as possible with a few minor improvements such as, having the interior completely re-upholstered (as close to original as possible but modernized), new ehaust, buff out the paint (maybe a fresh coat), and a TON of TLC. Under the hood: all new rubber (belts, vacuum hoses, etc.), lots of degreaser to make her sparkle, and any other general maintainence items that are necessary. I plan of having a complete engine makeover by RAM Engines after about a year. I'm waiting to see what their supercharged ea81 is going to sell for, lol! I could probably do with the 140hp build though!

She is going to be my daily driver with the "occasional" off-road side-trek!

Oh, and I am going to have to do something with those 4x140 hubs. :eek:

She has minor rust under the rear and on the tailgate but other than that, she's rust free. My father-in-law took it to Ziebart when it was still new!

That's just plain Sweet!

They don't make-um like that anymore.

I wouldn't paint it or re-upholster it.

I'd buff the original paint and use seat covers.

I'd keep it as original as possible,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

That's just plain Sweet!

They don't make-um like that anymore.

I wouldn't paint it or re-upholster it.

I'd buff the original paint and use seat covers.

I'd keep it as original as possible,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

Thanks! Unfortunately, the mice lived inside this ride for 8 years so needless to say, it stinks in there! I have taken the carpet and seats out and tried to pressure wash them with soap and about 14 other chemicals and it still stinks! So, I think the best thing to do is gut the interior and start over with fresh material. I will keep the same colors (as close as poss.) and the same design, but the original stuff has got to go, lol!

Any ideas about mice poo and pee removal? Oh and the stinch!

The paint will definately get a good buff but I may take her in to a professional so they can uncover any rust that may be lurking and restore her body. But that's after I get a good year out of her first.

Thanks!

Nice BRAT!!!!

For getting rid of the mouse smell, try Murphy's Oil Soap. I've used it with good success myself. Just wash-down everything inside of the BRAT with it, using the hottest water you can stand to put you hand into..

You'll also will want to pull the heater blower motor out and clean it and the ducting good. The mice like to build nests in the heater system. Not sure how they get into the cowl area under the wipers, but that will let them into the heater system.