Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here it is : 1978 DL

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Subaru-Loving Community around the world: Let me re-introduce to you my 1978 Subaru DL 2-Door Sedan. I bought him two months ago because he was in super condition; if a little tired. For the past two months he has been torn down, cleaned up, de-rusted, de bugged, powder coated, retrimmed and painted where necessary.

So, Heeeeeeeeere’s Lemony Stewart (that’s his name)

List of what’s been done:

Seats: Upholstery by Monarch. (858.278.9797) They excel in preserving the parts that count (like the hounds-tooth vinyl) while rebuilding the foam and matching the plain vinyl. Impeccable craftsmanship.

Wheels and Bumper Strips: Powder Coated

Body and Engine Bay Detailing: By Lajolla Detail. ( lajolladetail.com ) They kept the original paint while color sanding and buffing discolored areas. Minor rust in the trunk and in hidden nooks was treated, sealed and repainted factory Mild Yellow. They are very thorough and disassemble parts when necessary, rather than struggle with hard to reach areas. They also applied the reproduction Subaru graphic stripes (provided by Todd, thank you)

Interior parcel tray and steering wheel pad color matched by Brenda Parkin and sprayed by yours truly in Dupont Vinyl paint. New tires all around.

Still needed: Subaru Logo for Hood, Carpet Kit, Interior Door Handle Bezels, and either a Unicorn or a new Dash, which ever is easier to find.

I can't say enough about the pictures you posted!:banana:

But man it looks like it is better than showroom condition!

Gotta give you major props on your interior,it is top notch!

I would have to say it is by far one of the most beautiful subaru's I have ever seen.Lots of hard work and love that's for sure!:slobber::headbang:

Thanks for the comments! You guys are awesome. This car is a real charmer. I'm so happy to see it evoking big teeth-bearing grins from everyone who sees it. It's right at home on this great forum.

Todd -- "addicted" is the best description I've heard! If you only knew. I've already got another set of unslotted steel wheels ready and waiting to be mounted on a certain yellow Gen 1 2WD Automatic Wagon...

Paul -- I'm still interested in that door panel. If it matches my car, then I say the only thing better than 'refurbished' is new-old-stock. Let me know your asking price. (Maybe you can deduct it from your payment to me for those parts I sent you last weekend...)

-- Regarding cost of the restoration; I'm not sure exactly but it was under 2 grand. I've restored a lot of cars. And I learned the hard way that its cheaper in the long run to start with something that's already pretty nice.

Wow again!!

How much of that work was discounted through your relations with contractors,suppliers,etc.?

I'm not breaking stones here,just trying to get the average user an idea of the actual cost of a total restoration.Since nobody here has done it your way I think it'd be nice for all to break down costs and see where the guy with no connections is going to have to pay more than you did for certain procedures.

There's no way in the world that resto would cost under $2k up here in CT.

Just trying to see where we can save some dough.I sure can't afford to go much higher than $3k per resto when I get mine going.And if I go your route it'll be over $4k up here without question.

Paul- I appreciate your candor. :o I don't mind discussing cost. But its not unrealistic to expect to pay something similar or less for what was done to the car. In fact, for someone who has more time and tools, it could be done for a lot less. Starting with a straight, fairly rust free car is key to doing a resto on a budget. The restoration was minor in terms of what was redone verses what was simply cleaned up and refurbished.

Connections help, but they played less of a factor than creativity. I bet most of the people on this board are more talented than me at taking their cars apart and then knowing how to put them back together. That alone would bring the cost down a great deal. I saved money by replacing only parts of the seat vinyl and foam rather than starting from scratch. Also, painting your own parts really helps. I had some of the paint put into spray cans because that is an easy (no clean up) and inexpensive way to work if you don't have a spray gun.

Other things like tires and powder coating only cost a few hundred dollars (Discount Tire sells those 13" tires for 20 bucks a piece.) The search for rare well preserved parts is my favorite part because its an adventure that never ends!

Take care- BT

Wow again!!

How much of that work was discounted through your relations with contractors,suppliers,etc.?

I'm not breaking stones here,just trying to get the average user an idea of the actual cost of a total restoration.Since nobody here has done it your way I think it'd be nice for all to break down costs and see where the guy with no connections is going to have to pay more than you did for certain procedures.

There's no way in the world that resto would cost under $2k up here in CT.

Just trying to see where we can save some dough.I sure can't afford to go much higher than $3k per resto when I get mine going.And if I go your route it'll be over $4k up here without question.