Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to start...

jack84

like i was saying before... i just got an 84 justy and im looking to take it offroad, nothing to hardcore i just want to be able to run trails, get over basic rocks and through basic mud puddles. im brand new to the sport and modifing cars in general and could really use some advise on what i need to do and where i should start, ie suspension, lift, steering, etc. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

well, there are no companies that manufacture a lift to fit justys, so the lift would have to be fabricated by you.

this is not impossible tho, if you are good at welding. it has been done. actually the guy who did it is on here somewhere.

i have to say tho, even at stock height, a justy should have enough clearance and gearing for mild off roading as-is

like i was saying before... i just got an 84 justy and im looking to take it offroad, nothing to hardcore i just want to be able to run trails, get over basic rocks and through basic mud puddles. im brand new to the sport and modifing cars in general and could really use some advise on what i need to do and where i should start, ie suspension, lift, steering, etc. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

didn't the justys start in 86 or 87?

Whatever the car is, it doesn't have to be modified to take it off road. Before I got my first Subaru, I was torture testing a '79 Honda Civic on abandoned logging roads over logs and stuff. Then I got an '83 GL wagon and found that it climbed like a goat and pretty soon I wondered what if I put some bigger gnarlier tires and lifted the body a bit?

So I guess I'm just advising to take it out and be amazed at how well a stock Suby can do...then start modding it to suit your requirements.

MikeW is exactly spot on. You can spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work building the biggest baddes Subaru ever... but until you get out there, find what you like doing, and what you want to accomplish, it will all be nothing.

Grab a buddy and go out into the woods, try some stuff, GET STUCK. Getting stuck is the best way to evaluate changes that need to be made.

Oh hey... Have Fun tooo, after all, thats what it is all about!

i suppose it is a hatch, the guy that sold it to me told me it was a justy. just goes to show how much i really know. im gonna trust you guys, you seem to know enough about it. thanks for all the advice, it should be enough to get me started.

Easy way to tell, if the engine is a regular looking inline four, mounted crossways, it's a Justy. If the engine is a flat four, it's a Hatch. Also, on the tailgate it should say either GL or Justy.

If it is a Justy, wait about six months and drop it off at my shop. I'm always looking for custom jobs like that, that's waht I am building my business around.

looked on the back of the car...it says GL.

drove it around at one of the job sites where i work and decided it needs a lift.

im shooting for 4 inches and i need to know what im going to have to do about the bump-steer issue in front.

What bump steer are you talking about? PK Davis is starting to make 3.5" lifts for our EA81's... contact him if you want a lift fast. AA isnt making them anymore, and not sure what the turn around for Scotts lifts are. But lifts are out there, and will make it easier to fit larger tires.

And a LSD is hard to find, but definatly worth it. Right now, im running my hatch in RWD only, with the LSD and I was able to do some pretty good wheelin last weekend with it. This weekend I'll have my FWD fixed and then its awn!!

-Brian