Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help.... T.O.D. (Update..High RPM Past Red Line = Quick Fix)

My EA82 has been sitting for a month and i went to start it today and now im hearing a REALLY loud ticking my oil level and pressure are good WTF? My Radiator Level is in range to.... so im lost is this T.O.D. i took it around the block slowly then i threw it in first and took it up to redline and it got quiet for a while then it came back.

Lifters get worn, and after sitting for a while can "bleed down" or lose pressure. Officially Subaru states that it can take up to 4 hours (of running) for all the air to excape from the lifters and stop the ticking. I've had it take a couple hundred miles on EA81's after replacing the oil pump for the ticking to stop.

GD

If they didn't tick before it sat, everything else being equal, clogged lifters is not your problem. They are worn, and their pressure is slowly escapeing like an old tire. Dumping extra cleansers in your engine only serves to accelerate the wear, and possibly loosen up contaminates that WILL clog things like your oil filter and PCV system. Personally I'm of the opinion that if it wasn't in the oil recommended by Subaru, it shouldn't be in the engine. The engine, assuming oil changed every 7,000 miles, and the filter every 15,000, should not be dirty enough to ever need a "flush" or any special cleansing additives for the lifetime of the engine - unless you recently ran through a volcanic eruption or are running without an air filter or something equally stupid. Once you reach 300,000 it's likely going to need a new bottom end anyway, and flushing it would just stir up all the metal and bits of bearing, and accelerate the wear factor ever more. No - it's better to be safe, and just use OIL - it's already got detergents in it.

The best fix for lifters that can't stay quiet is...... NEW lifters, and a NEW oil pump. There is a place someone linked to a while back that can rebuild them too....

GD

im just gonna drive it like that till it dies and it'll go to the JY or be parted out

Man!, gettin rid of a subie just couse it makin a little noise is like burying you parents just couse there alittle old.:(

Fix her

~CHIM~

Gee..I have been driving my Loyale for 3 years with TOD..Its very common and normal for these cars. And it doesnt hurt anything..you will probably do more damage redlining it then just letting them quiet up by driving it normally..BTW.How long did it sit? Did you change the oil and filter yet? Mine startsto tick bad after about the 4th month on the oil ( I dont put many miles an my car...just changed my oil ..last time done was in Sept and it just hit the 3000 mile mark).

Try that simple fix first before getting all .."Its going to the junk yard";)

It won't hurt it to drive it that way, but it can get pretty aggravating. No reason to open it up and replace the lifters though, just beacuse of the TOD.

Try the MMO. It's cheap and despite the concerns I see here, I haven't heard of anyone actually having problems after using it.

Has anybody here ever had MMO cause problems?

MMO won't cause problems. a quart of ATF or bottle of seafoam can help as well. this will help with HLA issues.

these treatments will do nothing for the oil pump seals though. the oil pump seals typically start to fail as well which is $10 in parts but requires removing the timing belts to change.

either way, drive it and it will be fine, just turn the music up.